Licensed contractors in the USA
Become a Licensed Contractor in the USA
How to get started:
- Complete the licensing application for your state.
- Take the state licensing exam (covers legal, business, building codes and other knowledge areas).
- Pay mandatory license fees
- Post a bond,
- Purchase workman’s compensation and liability insurance
- Establish minimum working capital.
Why Become a Licensed Contractor?
Given the time and expense involved, individuals might wonder if they need to become a licensed contractor. There are many reasons to become a licensed general contractor or trade contractor:
- Competitive edge in marketplace = more clients
- Establish credibility instantly
- It's the law for projects over a certain minimum cost.
- Having insurance and bonding protects you as well as your clients.
- You can charge more!
Any client, whether commercial or residential, would want to know they are contracting with a trustworthy firm certified by the state, county or local jurisdiction. Many homeowner's insurance policies require that work be completed by a licensed contractor. Also, more homeowners are becoming smarter shoppers and no that even though it costs more, working with a licensed contractor is much less risky.
--ContractorTabby 19:27, 9 May 2013 (BST)
 External references.
Featured articles and news
What is Modernism?
Modernist architecture and its many international variations explained.
BRE support Europe-wide strategic heating plans for local and national authorities.
Work set to begin on 'one of America's greatest parks', which will be 10 times bigger than Central Park.
One of our most popular articles - RSHP's Mike Davies writes about the concept design process.
As Cuba mourn the death of Castro, major renovation of this symbolic landmark may be a reflection of the country's fresh start.
How cannabis plants are used to create an alternative building material with plenty of advantages.
What does Mayor Sadiq Khan's first policy statement mean for London's infrastructure?
Bjarke Ingels Group announced as winners of design competition for new residential landmark in Amsterdam.
Designing Buildings Wiki has reviewed a well-designed and researched set of architecture city maps.
Designing Buildings Wiki attended the second annual Building Live conference, tackling the challenges facing construction.