- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 11 Jan 2014
Licensed contractors in the USA
Become a Licensed Contractor in the USA
How to get started:
- Complete the licensing application for your state.
- Take the state licensing exam (covers legal, business, building codes and other knowledge areas).
- Pay mandatory license fees
- Post a bond,
- Purchase workman’s compensation and liability insurance
- Establish minimum working capital.
Why Become a Licensed Contractor?
Given the time and expense involved, individuals might wonder if they need to become a licensed contractor. There are many reasons to become a licensed general contractor or trade contractor:
- Competitive edge in marketplace = more clients
- Establish credibility instantly
- It's the law for projects over a certain minimum cost.
- Having insurance and bonding protects you as well as your clients.
- You can charge more!
Any client, whether commercial or residential, would want to know they are contracting with a trustworthy firm certified by the state, county or local jurisdiction. Many homeowner's insurance policies require that work be completed by a licensed contractor. Also, more homeowners are becoming smarter shoppers and no that even though it costs more, working with a licensed contractor is much less risky.
--ContractorTabby 19:27, 9 May 2013 (BST)
 Find out more
 External references.
Featured articles and news
CLC provides guidance related to product marks, post-Brexit.
Net zero goals incorporated into plans for a new European Bauhaus.
BREEAM offers its resilient approach to Building Back Better.
Country moves one step closer to creating independent body.
BSRIA examines factors driving the industry.
Ensuring designs are developed, validated and can be effectively implemented.
The Homebuyer Survey most suitable for newer homes or simple properties.
Health and safety practices for body and mind.
28 leading bodies set out their vision for the future.
Chancellor announces latest Winter Support packages.
Tapping technology to boost infrastructure and create jobs.
4 ways to ensure certificates are valid.
White elephant construction projects.
How Paul Williams bent over backwards to overcome racial barriers.