- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 18 Jan 2018
HCA Development Appraisal Tool
Homes England (previously the Homes and Communities Agency) publishes a widely-used Development Appraisal Tool (DAT) for small and medium to medium/large projects with a development period of up to 15 years.
It is a spreadsheet-based, site-specific development viability tool intended to inform investment decisions by local authorities and developers, but it can be used as part of a challenge to demands in planning applications, in particular in relation to the effect of affordable housing requirements on project viability.
Version 4, published on 13 November 2014 has 5 phases for all tenures and infrastructure, enabling longer-term schemes to be assessed. It also takes account of changes to planning policy, such as changes to the Community Infrastructure Levy.
The tool can be used to:
- Analyse whether planning obligations are viable.
- Help local authorities assess the balance between affordable housing and other planning obligations.
- Assess the case for financial support under the affordable homes programme.
- Assess the potential land value where a local authority is considering a disposal.
- Bid for the development of public land under the Homes and Communities Agency’s Development Partner Panel 2 process.
The bid comparator can be used to compare a number of different submissions.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Affordable homes.
- Community infrastructure levy.
- Homes England.
- Planning obligations.
- Planning permission.
 External references
Featured articles and news
Architectural Technology Studio 3
Construction Industry Advisory Committee CONIAC
The real impact of late payment.
How to tell which infrastructure projects will work.
The government announces the biggest change in building safety for a generation.
Key messages from the UN COP 25 conference.
Reducing the risks of buying off-plan
A lighthouse history from Eddystone to Fastnet. Book review.
Telling the story of the Government Code and Cipher School.
Are you an experienced writer with a practical understanding of the industry?
Hagia Sophia, Istanbul.
New Dwelling House at Grange View.
The causes of sinkholes.