Construction and the Built Environment Magazines Journals and Articles
A page listing online journals, magazines, feature articles and all things published on a timely basis. To help develop this page, click 'Edit this article'.
 Magazines (populist periodicals, subscription required for most)
Generally published weekly and monthly. These all require payment for full access, regardless they are generally updated daily (read headlines and taglines). Most feature newsletters, RSS, and a (shortened story, usually free) mobile site.
- Architects Journal (AJ). Mobile Site. RSS. Issuu. Published by EMAP. Weekly.
- Building. Mobile Site. RSS. Published by UBM. Weekly.
- Concrete magazine. Concrete Society.
- Construction Manager. Mobile Site. RSS. Published by CIOB. Monthly.
- Construction News. Mobile Site. RSS. Published by EMAP. Weekly.
- Estates Gazette.
- FMWorld(BIFM). Issuu Digital Edition. Digital Archive for publisher. RSS. Monthly.
- New Civil Engineer.
- The Construction Index.
- The Structural Engineer (IstructE). Archive. Monthly.
- Property Week. Mobile Site. RSS. Published by UBM. Weekly.
- RIBA Journal (ribaj). Mobile Site. RSS. Published by RIBA. Weekly.
 Magazines (populist periodicals, free access/download)
Generally free, ad supported magazines. Some allow you to subscribe and they post you a glossy version. Mix of pdf, Issuu and yudu.
- ABC+D Magazine. 6 month archive on same page. Monthly.
- AEC Magazine (Ad supported, registration required).
- Architects Datafile (ADF). Yudu and Pdf available.
- BD+C Magazine. Current Issue (flash). Archive. Twitter.
- Building4Change.com (BRE News Website).
- Energy Zine includes CPD modules.
- [email protected]
- Education Design & Build. Homepage.
- FCA Magazine. Digital Edition. Archive at bottom of digital edition.
- Sustain Magazine. Online only.
 Journals (Scholarly periodicals)
These are probably best accessed at you local university library. # indicates subscription required, otherwise free.
- Arup Journal. Published 2 or 3 times a year.
- Construction Research and Innovation (CRI). Published by CIOB.
 Online only
 Feature articles of note relating to construction and the built environment from other magazines
- New Yorker, Article on Citigroup HQ, New York. 29 May 1995. Design change form bolted to welded connections producing a weakened building and subsequent strengthening [first article to reveal this]. Slate.com April 2014 article, with podcast incuded by 99% invisible.
--JC5 21:38, 23 May 2014 (BST)
 Archive (out of publication)
- Buro Happold, Patterns. In-house technical journal published consisting of 16 editions and 2 special issues published between 1987 and 2011.
Featured articles and news
A visually dramatic means of story-telling, large-scale murals can be an effective way to engage communities.
There were over 1,400 new articles added to Designing Buildings Wiki in 2016. Here are the top 15 most popular.
MVRDV reveal designs for a strange holiday villa in Taiwan.
New milestone achieved with launch of new safety lanyard for working from height.
A quick introductory article about preliminaries in construction.
Brandenburg Gate - an historic structure that went from symbolising German partition to European unity.
A discussion between construction key players and leading insurers on the future outlook for construction insurance.
New guide from BSRIA on building performance evaluation in domestic buildings.
Rogers Stirk Harbour and Partners complete new trio of towers at Sydney Harbour.
With a new government consultation underway, ICE look at creating a smarter, more flexible energy system.
British Antarctic Survey announces research station is to relocate 23km due to growing crack in the ice shelf.