Construction and the Built Environment Magazines Journals and Articles
A page listing online journals, magazines, feature articles and all things published on a timely basis. To help develop this page, click 'Edit this article'.
Generally published weekly and monthly. These all require payment for full access, regardless they are generally updated daily (read headlines and taglines). Most feature newsletters, RSS, and a (shortened story, usually free) mobile site.
- Architects Journal (AJ). Mobile Site. RSS. Issuu. (Paywall) Published by EMAP. Weekly.
- Building. Mobile Site. RSS. (Paywall) Published by UBM. Weekly.
- Built Environment Jounal - (Paywall) www.alexandrinepress.co.uk/built-environment
- Concrete magazine. Concrete Society.
- Construction Manager. Mobile Site. RSS. (Free online) Published by CIOB. Monthly.
- Construction News. Mobile Site. RSS. (Paywall) Published by EMAP. Weekly.
- Estates Gazette.
- FMWorld(BIFM). Issuu Digital Edition. Digital Archive for publisher. RSS. (Paywall) Monthly.
- New Civil Engineer. (Paywall)
- The Construction Index.
- The Structural Engineer (IstructE). Archive. Monthly. (Paywall)
- Property Week. Mobile Site. RSS. Published by UBM. Weekly. (Paywall)
- RIBA Journal (ribaj). Mobile Site. RSS. Published by RIBA. Weekly. (Paywall)
- http://www.i-buildmagazine.com free
- http://www.offsitehub.co.uk/offsitemagazine - Free online, annual fee for print version.
 Magazines (free access/download)
Generally free, ad supported magazines. Some allow you to subscribe and they post you a glossy version. Mix of pdf, Issuu and yudu.
- ABC+D Magazine. 6 month archive on same page. Monthly.
- AEC Magazine (Ad supported, registration required).
- Architects Datafile (ADF). Yudu and Pdf available.
- BD+C Magazine. Current Issue (flash). Archive. Twitter.
- Building4Change.com (BRE News Website).
- Concrete Quarterly online magazine - www.concretecentre.com/CQ and their archive going back to 1947 here.
- Energy Zine includes CPD modules.
- [email protected]
- Education Design & Build. Homepage.
- FCA Magazine. Digital Edition. Archive at bottom of digital edition.
- New Steel Construction - http://www.newsteelconstruction.com/wp/
- http://www.roofingtoday.co.uk/ - Roofing design and technology, online and print.
- http://structuraltimbermagazine.co.uk/ - Structural timber building design & technologies online and print.
- Housing Magazine. Online only.
 Journals (Scholarly periodicals)
These are probably best accessed at you local university library. # indicates subscription required, otherwise free.
- Arup Journal. Published 2 or 3 times a year.
- Construction Research and Innovation (CRI). Published by CIOB.
 Online only
- Building Design (bdonline). Published by UBM. (Paywall)
- Construction Enquirer. (Free, advertising heavy, worthwhile daily news emailed at 8.30am)
 Feature articles of note relating to construction and the built environment from other magazines
- New Yorker, Article on Citigroup HQ, New York. 29 May 1995. Design change form bolted to welded connections producing a weakened building and subsequent strengthening [first article to reveal this]. Slate.com April 2014 article, with podcast incuded by 99% invisible.
--JC5 21:38, 23 May 2014 (BST)
 Archive (out of publication)
- Buro Happold, Patterns. In-house technical journal published consisting of 16 editions and 2 special issues published between 1987 and 2011.
Featured articles and news
It was the tallest structure in the world for 3,800 years, but to this day the exact construction techniques are a mystery.
Shortlist for the industry's most coveted award announced.
Government responds to Mark Farmer's review of industry, rejecting the call for a levy on clients.
Peter Hansford to examine what wider lessons can be learned from the fire.
Every project is subject to uncertainty. How can construction better understand uncertainty for performance improvement?
MAD Architects reveal their designs for a futuristic campus for electric car manufacturer.
Homebuyers could borrow more with better forecasting of energy bills, according to industry consortium's new report.
Read our introductory article on carbon capture and storage.
Have a look at Frank Gehry's Binoculars Building in Los Angeles.
BRE publish new Loss Prevention Standard seeking to minimise fire risk from ducting.
How do we tell which infrastructure projects will work?
CIAT announce the establishment of a Working Group in light of Grenfell and call for contributions.
In 1900, 15% of global population lived in cities. Now it’s over 50%. Which is why we need ‘hydroinformatics’ to consume smarter.
Have a look at these competition-winning designs for a new residential development in Eindhoven.