Construction and the Built Environment Magazines Journals and Articles
A page listing online journals, magazines, feature articles and all things published on a timely basis. To help develop this page, click 'Edit this article'.
Generally published weekly and monthly. These all require payment for full access, regardless they are generally updated daily (read headlines and taglines). Most feature newsletters, RSS, and a (shortened story, usually free) mobile site.
- Architects Journal (AJ). Mobile Site. RSS. Issuu. (Paywall) Published by EMAP. Weekly.
- Building. Mobile Site. RSS. (Paywall) Published by UBM. Weekly.
- Built Environment Jounal - (Paywall) www.alexandrinepress.co.uk/built-environment
- Concrete magazine. Concrete Society.
- Construction Manager. Mobile Site. RSS. (Free online) Published by CIOB. Monthly.
- Construction News. Mobile Site. RSS. (Paywall) Published by EMAP. Weekly.
- Estates Gazette.
- FMWorld(BIFM). Issuu Digital Edition. Digital Archive for publisher. RSS. (Paywall) Monthly.
- New Civil Engineer. (Paywall)
- The Construction Index.
- The Structural Engineer (IstructE). Archive. Monthly. (Paywall)
- Property Week. Mobile Site. RSS. Published by UBM. Weekly. (Paywall)
- RIBA Journal (ribaj). Mobile Site. RSS. Published by RIBA. Weekly. (Paywall)
- http://www.i-buildmagazine.com free
- http://www.offsitehub.co.uk/offsitemagazine - Free online, annual fee for print version.
 Magazines (free access/download)
Generally free, ad supported magazines. Some allow you to subscribe and they post you a glossy version. Mix of pdf, Issuu and yudu.
- ABC+D Magazine. 6 month archive on same page. Monthly.
- AEC Magazine (Ad supported, registration required).
- Architects Datafile (ADF). Yudu and Pdf available.
- BD+C Magazine. Current Issue (flash). Archive. Twitter.
- Building4Change.com (BRE News Website).
- Concrete Quarterly online magazine - www.concretecentre.com/CQ and their archive going back to 1947 here.
- Energy Zine includes CPD modules.
- [email protected]
- Education Design & Build. Homepage.
- FCA Magazine. Digital Edition. Archive at bottom of digital edition.
- New Steel Construction - http://www.newsteelconstruction.com/wp/
- http://www.roofingtoday.co.uk/ - Roofing design and technology, online and print.
- http://structuraltimbermagazine.co.uk/ - Structural timber building design & technologies online and print.
- Housing Magazine. Online only.
- http://www.natm-mag.co.uk. civil engineering journal, free online, uses flash so pc/mac only.
 Journals (Scholarly periodicals)
These are probably best accessed at you local university library. # indicates subscription required, otherwise free.
- Arup Journal. Published 2 or 3 times a year.
- Construction Research and Innovation (CRI). Published by CIOB.
 Online only
- Building Design (bdonline). Published by UBM. (Paywall)
- Construction Enquirer. (Free, advertising heavy, worthwhile daily news emailed at 8.30am)
 Feature articles of note relating to construction and the built environment from other magazines
- New Yorker, Article on Citigroup HQ, New York. 29 May 1995. Design change form bolted to welded connections producing a weakened building and subsequent strengthening [first article to reveal this]. Slate.com April 2014 article, with podcast incuded by 99% invisible.
--JC5 21:38, 23 May 2014 (BST)
 Archive (out of publication)
- Buro Happold, Patterns. In-house technical journal published consisting of 16 editions and 2 special issues published between 1987 and 2011.
Featured articles and news
What will the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) mean for you when they come into force in May?
Business Secretary chairs a new taskforce to monitor and advise on mitigating the impacts of Carillion’s liquidation.
Sir John Armitt is appointed the new chair of the National Infrastructure Commission.
High quality and high density homes - is it what we need or is it storing up trouble?
Government announces its intention to strengthen planning rules to protect music venues and neighbours.
National Audit Office reports that there is little evidence that PFI offers better value than other forms of contracting.
What is liquidation and how does it apply to contractors in the construction industry?
Scrutiny is placed on Carillion's controversial 2013 decision to extend subcontractor payment terms to 120 days.
RSHP unveil their involvement in a boundary crossing which will provide a new entry point into Hong Kong.
With PFI currently under the spotlight due to Carillion, this introductory article explains what they are.
Estimates suggest that up to 30,000 small firms could be at risk of non-payment as a result of Carillion's collapse.