- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 15 Feb 2018
Construction and the Built Environment Magazines Journals and Articles
A page listing online journals, magazines, feature articles and all things published on a timely basis. To help develop this page, click 'Edit this article'.
Generally published weekly and monthly. These all require payment for full access, regardless they are generally updated daily (read headlines and taglines). Most feature newsletters, RSS, and a (shortened story, usually free) mobile site.
- Architects Journal (AJ). Mobile Site. RSS. Issuu. (Paywall) Published by EMAP. Weekly.
- Building. Mobile Site. RSS. (Paywall) Published by UBM. Weekly.
- Built Environment Jounal - (Paywall) www.alexandrinepress.co.uk/built-environment
- Concrete magazine. Concrete Society.
- Construction Manager. Mobile Site. RSS. (Free online) Published by CIOB. Monthly.
- Construction News. Mobile Site. RSS. (Paywall) Published by EMAP. Weekly.
- Estates Gazette.
- FMWorld(BIFM). Issuu Digital Edition. Digital Archive for publisher. RSS. (Paywall) Monthly.
- New Civil Engineer. (Paywall)
- The Construction Index.
- The Structural Engineer (IstructE). Archive. Monthly. (Paywall)
- Property Week. Mobile Site. RSS. Published by UBM. Weekly. (Paywall)
- RIBA Journal (ribaj). Mobile Site. RSS. Published by RIBA. Weekly. (Paywall)
- http://www.i-buildmagazine.com free
- http://www.offsitehub.co.uk/offsitemagazine - Free online, annual fee for print version.
 Magazines (free access/download)
Generally free, ad supported magazines. Some allow you to subscribe and they post you a glossy version. Mix of pdf, Issuu and yudu.
- ABC+D Magazine. 6 month archive on same page. Monthly.
- AEC Magazine (Ad supported, registration required).
- Architects Datafile (ADF). Yudu and Pdf available.
- BD+C Magazine. Current Issue (flash). Archive. Twitter.
- Building4Change.com (BRE News Website).
- Concrete Quarterly online magazine - www.concretecentre.com/CQ and their archive going back to 1947 here.
- Energy Zine includes CPD modules.
- [email protected]
- Education Design & Build. Homepage.
- New Steel Construction - http://www.newsteelconstruction.com/wp/
- http://www.roofingtoday.co.uk/ - Roofing design and technology, online and print.
- http://structuraltimbermagazine.co.uk/ - Structural timber building design & technologies online and print.
- Housing Magazine. Online only.
- http://www.natm-mag.co.uk. civil engineering journal, free online, uses flash so pc/mac only.
 Journals (Scholarly periodicals)
These are probably best accessed at you local university library. # indicates subscription required, otherwise free.
- Arup Journal. Published 2 or 3 times a year.
- Construction Research and Innovation (CRI). Published by CIOB.
 Online only
- Building Design (bdonline). Published by UBM. (Paywall)
- Construction Enquirer. (Free, advertising heavy, worthwhile daily news emailed at 8.30am)
 Feature articles of note relating to construction and the built environment from other magazines
- New Yorker, Article on Citigroup HQ, New York. 29 May 1995. Design change from bolted to welded connections producing a weakened building and subsequent strengthening [first article to reveal this]. Slate.com April 2014 article, with podcast incuded by 99% invisible.
--JC5 21:38, 23 May 2014 (BST)
 Archive (out of publication)
- Buro Happold, Patterns. In-house technical journal published consisting of 16 editions and 2 special issues published between 1987 and 2011.
Featured articles and news
Assembling, curating, caring for, and designing the future.
A sensitive approach to renovating a building of historic stature.
UK energy policy uncertainty as Welsh project put on hold
What collaborative working achieves and how it can be put in place.
BSRIA publishes the 2019 edition of its small but concise annual databook.
Using QSAND to measure the performance of disaster response.
What U-values are, why they matter and how they are calculated.
The need to ensure that we plan for all aspects of our bio-economy
BSRIA calls on government to reach deeper into the causes of pollution.
George Demetri brings a whole new level of technical knowledge to Designing Buildings Wiki.
Quality professionals need to take an active role in driving the completion process forwards.
The innovations needed to move from rhetoric to realisation.