- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
As economic recovery sets in, investors chose to invest in assets with high returns rather than the traditional safe investments namely government bonds and property.
Yet, it is thought that there are many reasons why investors should invest in property rather than any other type of assets:
- There is a constant risk of another recession.
- UK property provides high yields compared to other assets. In fact, there are parts of the UK where yields are around 10% such as Birmingham. On the other hand, interest rates are only around 0.5% in the UK and 0.25% in the eurozone.
- The UK is one of the safest countries to invest in as it is politically stable wehereas in countries where property gives higher yields such as Egypt or Colombia there is a big risk especially because investors cannot predict what may happen there.
- The government bonds are no longer considered totally safe as the notion of 'government default' has emerged recently with the Greek economic collapse.
- Gold that was also considered as a very safe store of money is no longer as it is especially after th recent decline in the world's price of golds especially in april 2013.
- Property in the UK is liquid compared to many other european countries. Smaller flats for example in UK cities are highly sellable especially in the asian market.
Featured articles and news
Do you know your Rococo from your De Stijl, your Gothic from your Post-modernist?
May outlines a new funding strategy for housing associations and says the 'stigma' of social housing needs to end.
RIBA launches a consultation on a new Plan of Work for Fire Safety.
This article offers some basic rules to follow when writing your next specification.
The iconic Mackintosh Building will definitely be rebuilt, board chairwoman confirms.
The machinery used to fashion stone has changed dramatically - and so have the products.
This type of pile provides support to the building, as well as acting as a heat source and a heat sink.
Why investors are adopting the SDGs and why civil engineering could be crucial for delivering them.
Read about all the winners from the London ceremony of CIAT's 2018 Architectural Technology Awards.
How do you find the right stone to conserve historic buildings?
Appointment agreements often include a ‘scope of services’ setting out the consultant's performance on a project.