- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Part 1 architectural assistant, London.Other Designer
How do we keep investors interested in Uk property?
In response to the question above i want to place my suggestion in the context of minor residential development.
'Residential development appraisal' report (RDA report)
Investors should have the opportunity to undertake an RDA report by a registered industry professional. The purpose of the report will be to address key factors which will help investors to make better informed decisions.
The report should be structured to cover the key influencers affecting property prices. Topic areas which should be covered:
- Geographic price mapping to highlight which areas are experiencing rising or falling property prices. Not only should a general trend be shown but the metrics influencing the trend.
- Conservation areas and listed buildings shown, this is important as it may greatly affect the potential to develop a property.
- A properties proximity to key services and amenities.
- Any future strategic developments in the local area should be highlighted.
- Crime reports for the area.
- Flood risk report.
The list above is non exhaustive and offers some initial suggestions. Once the more obvious points have been established the report can move into more detail.
- Look at the sale value per sq ft of an area.
- Look at the construction costs per sq ft of an area with emphasis variation, eg: subterranean development.
- Provide information regarding permitted development which is relevant to the property.
- Financial information highlighting the tax benefits of new build ect.
- Look into precedent developments in the immediate locality.
- The report could include a full measured survey of the property with a series of proposals drawn up highlighting possible development opportunities. This could include anything from internal reconfiguration to structural work and opportunities to maximise sq footage, all with regard to the local plan.
The key purpose of the report would be to provide property investors with an extremely valuable resource, designed to give added confidence when making key decisions. Only registered industry professionals would be able to issue the report (architects/engineers/surveyors etc) this would ensure credibility.
Featured articles and news
The Isle of Man’s naturally-occurring materials and distinctive building techniques.
BRE partner with Global GreenTag to develop an Ethical Labour Sourcing Standard for Australia.
The Chartered Quality Institute explain the pathway to success for organisations implementing management systems.
An introductory article looking at where a duty of care can arise in the construction industry.
House of Lords committee encourages the use of off-site manufacturing in new report.
Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) can go some way to show the impact of new buildings on their surroundings.
The shortlist for the 2018 prize for the UK's best new building is revealed.
Amendment to Bill aims to provide councils with greater powers to increase tax premiums on empty homes.
As the latest summer blockbuster 'Skyscraper' is released, we look at some of the best uses of buildings in film.
Read our introductory article on how to layout a building.