- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
About Lyuben Stoev
To make money out of property investment I must either rent or sell the property. To do that there should be a demand. The demand for property is driven by-(1)Urbanisation(Valid for UK but with much lower rates with comparison to the developing countries).(2)Expanding economy(valid for UK but with much lower rates with comparison to the developing countries).(3)Need for new type of “environment”, accommodating the rapidly changing needs of its occupant.(4)Increase in the population.(Valid for UK but with much lower rates with comparison to the developing countries).
Here we spot that UK building industry is in danger of lowering its size with comparison to the construction industries in the developing countries(less investments in UK property). What we can do to change this trend?
Following the logic what makes the construction industry expand and taking into account its limited influence we need to: create Affordable Intelligent Buildings(AIB),which meet and exceed the demand of their occupants, making them more productive. By making them more productive they can help the real economy expands(2).We will also create more demanding society informed about the benefits the “AIB” can have on their productivity and everyday live.(3)
I have two suggestion, one for the A in “AIB”, and one for the I in “AIB”.
My suggestion for cost efficiency:
Adoption of iBIM(Level 3)(Building Information Modelling)
As this is not my own idea and I only suggest the wider adoption of it,I will just state its benefits.Two segments of the cost can be influenced by the building environment-1.time of construction and 2.human workforce. A half of the properties in UK are build either with delays or over the budged. BIM improves dramatically the communication between architect-engineer-contractor-subcontractor. This leads to minimizing(removing)the risk of misunderstandings. This leads to:
- faster construction with no delays(1)
- less onside work is required which means less human workforce(2).
The iBIM (level 3) also minimize the uncertainties of the construction management.
- This will increase the investor/developer confidence in investing money in other project in parallel with the current development.
Meeting and exceeding occupant demands:
IBMS-Intelligent Building Management System. The system will :
- measure the brightness ,the temperature, the humidity, the oxygen in the air and as the system develops it will measure more factors influencing occupant pleasure and performance.
- collect date for occupants habits(not too personal),such as- when they usually go to work or when they normally take lunch break.
- has all the building plan information such as size of rooms ,their orientation etc.
- receive a feedback from the occupant about his satisfaction and productivity.
- be with easy to use interface that will allow the fully automatic system to be manually adjusted by the occupant if he requires.
- gather all the data and will create a profile of the occupant environment. Only the occupant will have full access to this profile and if he wants he can turn off the system losing all its benefits. This profile then can be used for authorising occupancy or communication with other occupants or staff in the building. It can be used also by the occupant for tracking his productivity feedback record and as the system becomes more popular maybe paying taxes and etc.
- after gathering and processing all the information create satisfying and productivity driving environment for this occupant by adjusting itself to his preferences and everyday habits.
- The property investors and developers will benefit from this system, because they will have access only to data ,which shows occupants satisfaction and productivity in the different environments. In this way they will create more satisfying and productivity driving AIBses. Also regular improvement of the system will be needed in order to enable us to embrace more fully the occupant demands.
Featured articles and news
EIRs define what is needed from the employer's internal team and suppliers for project development.
Inquiry criticises PwC for "milking the Carillion cow dry".
Architects report cancelled projects and uncertainty concerns in a new RIBA survey on Brexit.
Quality helps eliminate defects, but it can also drive improvement and increase profit.