- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
I am a student, currently studying a Masters in Environmental Sustainability, which, in a nutshell, is looking at resource efficiency within our Built Environment - buildings, water and waste. Prior to this, I studied Product Design before working in various mediums before returning to study.
MAKE BUILDINGS BETTER
- Unless the market exists, developers will only ever need to deliver the minimum, but energy efficiency doesn't tend to feature highly on house buyers lists. Therefore, the market needs to be created to educate occupants that, despite living in a country with temperature extremes, fuel bills need not be astronomical.
- National campaign: educate people on EPC ratings; rights when purchasing a new build property; better understanding of thermal efficiency and air tightness - and their correlation to fuel bills. Understanding what the long term impact of paying for heat loss and making it clear to buyers so they demand more, not accept less.
- Local campaign: promote EPC ratings more when selling a house and making this a greater feature of a house purchase so that it becomes part of the buying process - and understanding the impact of buying a lower rated house and the long term losses that will generate.
- Regulations allow for basic housing to go through as 'OK'. Air permeability of 10 still makes for a house with substantial heat losses, flying in the face of government targets. Tighten this up to something more reasonable - 5?
Featured articles and news
Do you know your Rococo from your De Stijl, your Gothic from your Post-modernist?
May outlines a new funding strategy for housing associations and says the 'stigma' of social housing needs to end.
RIBA launches a consultation on a new Plan of Work for Fire Safety.
This article offers some basic rules to follow when writing your next specification.
The iconic Mackintosh Building will definitely be rebuilt, board chairwoman confirms.
The machinery used to fashion stone has changed dramatically - and so have the products.
This type of pile provides support to the building, as well as acting as a heat source and a heat sink.
Why investors are adopting the SDGs and why civil engineering could be crucial for delivering them.
Read about all the winners from the London ceremony of CIAT's 2018 Architectural Technology Awards.
How do you find the right stone to conserve historic buildings?
Appointment agreements often include a ‘scope of services’ setting out the consultant's performance on a project.