- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
I am a student, currently studying a Masters in Environmental Sustainability, which, in a nutshell, is looking at resource efficiency within our Built Environment - buildings, water and waste. Prior to this, I studied Product Design before working in various mediums before returning to study.
MAKE BUILDINGS BETTER
- Unless the market exists, developers will only ever need to deliver the minimum, but energy efficiency doesn't tend to feature highly on house buyers lists. Therefore, the market needs to be created to educate occupants that, despite living in a country with temperature extremes, fuel bills need not be astronomical.
- National campaign: educate people on EPC ratings; rights when purchasing a new build property; better understanding of thermal efficiency and air tightness - and their correlation to fuel bills. Understanding what the long term impact of paying for heat loss and making it clear to buyers so they demand more, not accept less.
- Local campaign: promote EPC ratings more when selling a house and making this a greater feature of a house purchase so that it becomes part of the buying process - and understanding the impact of buying a lower rated house and the long term losses that will generate.
- Regulations allow for basic housing to go through as 'OK'. Air permeability of 10 still makes for a house with substantial heat losses, flying in the face of government targets. Tighten this up to something more reasonable - 5?
Featured articles and news
PII provides insurance cover against negligence claims and is widely used where services are being provided.
Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners release first images of their planned new addition to the Toronto skyline.
Land which is, or was, occupied by a permanent structure; brownfield sites can have significant development potential.
The 3-day IHBC 2018 School will focus on; Our Shared heritage: Communication - Negotiation – Transformation.
An innovative 'green bench' is installed in London that absorbs as much pollution as 275 trees.
Book review – a series of essays about architecture and urbanism in the British Empire.
The complex situation where events occur at the same time.
How can Latin America and the Caribbean unlock the digital potential of their new and existing built environment?
CIOB publish a new code of estimating practice.
These relate to a programme where each activity is allocated a price and interim payments made against completion.
Have a look at these images from a new photography book of buildings being reclaimed by nature.