- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 01 Nov 2017
Build UK action plan
On 25 June 2015, the UK Contractors’ Group (UKCG) and National Specialist Contractors' Council (NSCC) confirmed that they would merge to create Build UK, ‘…a strong collective voice for the contracting supply chain in construction’.
Build UK launched on 1 September 2015, led by Chief Executive Suzannah Nichol MBE (previously the NSCC Chief Executive). It represents 27 of the largest main contractors and 40 leading trade associations representing 11,500 specialist contractors.
Build UK marked its launch by publishing an Action Plan intended to address key industry issues, improve the delivery of projects and drive growth.
The Action Plan suggests that Build UK’s vision is for, “…one organisation bringing together main and specialist contractors, providing a strong collective voice from the contracting supply chain, offering influential and dynamic leadership, and creating the conditions for supply chains to thrive.”
The Action Plan suggests that construction is faced with a number of long-standing issues that require a new approach. Build UK will initially focus on:
- The image of construction: Inspiring young people and those looking for a change of career to choose construction and motivating the existing workforce to stay within the industry.
- The industry’s skills needs: Ensuring training and qualifications meet the needs of employers and that sufficient employment and apprenticeship opportunities are available.
- Effective pre-qualification: Developing and implementing a solution to the bureaucratic and repetitive process of pre-qualification.
- Health and safety performance: Identifying where common standards would improve health and safety and addressing long-standing customs to eliminate waste and demonstrate the value of sharing best practice.
- Fair payment practices: Bringing together the contracting supply chain to consider what best payment practice in construction looks like.
Build UK Chief Executive Suzannah Nichol MBE said: “Today is the culmination of an exciting year bringing two leading organisations together and we are now looking forward to working with our members and partners to deliver real and lasting change on the issues that matter. By getting the right people around the table and having honest and open debates, we are confident that Build UK will be able to deliver progress, not just for the contracting supply chain but the wider industry and its clients.”
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
When is there a right to light, and what happens if it is obstructed?
What would the nationalisation of economic infrastructure mean for GB?
A new guide to improving value by reducing design error.
We've reached 80,000 page views a day and 10,000 registered users. Why not join them?
A masterplan is a framework within which a location is encouraged to develop or change. Read our introductory article.
New consultation announced on a specialist Housing Court to settle landlord-tenant disputes.
ICE responds to a transport consultation advising the government to make decisions enabling more inclusive cities.
BRE and Loughborough University complete first phase refurbishment of demonstration home.
How the risk of collapse of fibrous plaster ceilings is being addressed in theatres.
If you’re a great writer and have practical experience of the construction industry, it could be you.
Frustrated by long documents or technical jargon? Put off by sign-up forms or costs? Take this 5 min survey to help improve construction knowledge.