GC Works contracts
The suite of standard Government Conditions of contract, GC Works, are still available, but they are no longer being updated by the government who are moving to the New Engineering Contracts, now in their third edition NEC3.
The GC Works contracts were created primarily for government projects, but could be used in the private sector. They were published by the Stationery Office for the Property Advisors for the Civil Estate (PACE).
The suite of contracts comprised:
- GC Works 1: Without quantities.
- GC Works 1: With quantities.
- GC Works 1: Single-stage design and build.
- GC Works 1: Model forms and commentary.
- GC Works 1: Two-stage design and build.
- GC Works 1: Construction management trade contract with quantities.
- GC Works 1: Construction management trade contract without quantities.
- GC Works 2: Minor works.
- GC Works 3: Contract for mechanical and electrical engineering works.
- GC Works 4: Contract for building, small works.
In addition, there were a range of supporting documents such as; sub-contracts, forms of tender, invitation to tender, performance bonds, parent company guarantees, retention bonds, notices and certificates.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Contract conditions.
- Government departments responsibility for construction.
- Modifying clauses in standard forms of contract.
- Minor works contract.
- Procurement route.
 External references
- Fenwick Elliot: Know your contract. November 2009.
Featured articles and news
The origins, evolution and future of Level 3 BIM.
For new and returning Urban Design students, check out our article list divided up into the modules you'll be studying.
Report states that health of urban dwellers could be significantly improved by rethinking transport design.
The Kremlin, the centre of Russian power, includes some of the country's finest architecture.
Report launched outlining steps for a national infrastructure system that is efficient, sustainable, and delivers until 2050.
A review of Justin Bere's concise and well-presented introductory guide to Passive House.
This article describes in detail the tender process for a typical commercial construction contract.
What is energy storage, what are the different types and what is its future?
MAD Architects reveal their designs for a state-of-the-art concert hall in Beijing.
Take a look at BIG's designs for two twisting towers in New York City.
'The filing cabinet' which was labelled one of the best British buildings of the 21st century.