Government departments responsibility for construction
To help develop this article, click ‘Edit this article’ above.
 Department for Business Innovation and Skills (BIS)
- BIM Task Group.
- Construction Sector Unit.
- Green Construction Board.
- Technology Strategy Board (TSB), a non-departmental public body (NDPB).
- Construction 2025 (jointly with industry).
 HM Treasury
- Efficiency and Reform Group (ERG).
- Major Projects Authority (MPA).
- Government Construction Strategy.
- Government Construction Board.
 Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
- Health and Safety Executive (HSE), a non-departmental public body (NDPB).
- Construction (Design and Management) Regulations (CDM).
 Department for Communities and Local Government (CLG)
- Building regulations.
- Planning permission.
- Planning policy.
- Homes and Communities Agency, a non-departmental public body (NDPB).
- Fire and Rescue Service.
- Architecture (transferred from DCMS in April 2015)
 Home office
- Special licences.
 Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (DEFRA)
- Environment Agency (EA), a non-departmental public body (NDPB).
- Natural England, a non-departmental public body (NDPB).
 Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS)
- Historic England, a non-departmental public body (NDPB).
 Department of Energy & Climate Change (DECC)
- Energy saving and climate change policy.
- Following devolution in the UK, responsibility for many aspects of construction industry policy, oversight and regulation have been passed to the authorities in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. See UK for more information. This includes building regulations and planning policy.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
The origins, evolution and future of Level 3 BIM.
For new and returning Urban Design students, check out our article list divided up into the modules you'll be studying.
Report states that health of urban dwellers could be significantly improved by rethinking transport design.
The Kremlin, the centre of Russian power, includes some of the country's finest architecture.
Report launched outlining steps for a national infrastructure system that is efficient, sustainable, and delivers until 2050.
A review of Justin Bere's concise and well-presented introductory guide to Passive House.
This article describes in detail the tender process for a typical commercial construction contract.
What is energy storage, what are the different types and what is its future?
MAD Architects reveal their designs for a state-of-the-art concert hall in Beijing.
Take a look at BIG's designs for two twisting towers in New York City.
'The filing cabinet' which was labelled one of the best British buildings of the 21st century.