The Joint Contracts Tribunal (JCT) was formed by the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) In 1931 when the first JCT standard form of building contract was issued (although the forms were not referred to as ‘JCT’ until 1977). JCT became a Limited Company in 1998.
It now produces a range of standard forms of contract for the construction of buildings accompanied by guidance notes and other standard forms of documentation, such as:
- Consultant agreements.
- Design agreements between an employer and a specialist designer.
- Forms of tender for main contractors, sub-contractors and sub-sub-contractors.
- Forms of contract for the supply of goods.
- Forms of bond.
- Collateral warranties.
The range of JCT construction contracts comprises:
- Standard Building Contract
- Intermediate Building Contract
- Minor Works Building Contract
- Major Project Construction Contract
- Design and Build Contract
- Management Building Contract
- Construction Management Contract
- JCT-CE Contract
- Measured Term Contract
- Prime Cost Building Contract
- Repair & Maintenance Contract
- Home Owner Contracts
JCT has seven member organisations, each representing a different sector of the construction industry, each of which nominates a Director to the JCT Board:
- British Property Federation.
- Contractors Legal Grp Limited.
- Local Government Association.
- National Specialist Contractors Council.
- Royal Institute of British Architects.
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
- Scottish Building Contract Committee Limited.
The JCT Council comprises 47 representatives who form the company’s five ‘Colleges’. It is these colleges that produce and amend the forms of contract:
- Employers, Clients and Local Authorities (British Property Federation, Local Government Association).
- Consultants (Association for Project Management, Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors, Royal Institute of British Architects, Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors).
- Contractors (Contractors Legal Grp Limited).
- Specialists and Sub-contractors (National Specialist Contractors Council).
- Scottish Building Industry (Scottish Building Contract Committee Limited).
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Appointing consultants.
- Articles of agreement.
- Building Information Modelling (BIM), Collaborative and Integrated Team Working.
- Collateral warranty.
- Construction contract.
- Intermediate Building Contract.
- Key dates.
- Latham report.
- Minor works.
- Modifying clauses in standard forms of contract.
- Named specialist work.
- Procurement route.
Featured articles and news
Watch one of the first documentaries by the acclaimed Adam Curtis, examining the substandard system building of the 1960s.
Take a look at the tech start-up that could transform construction design and communication.
This house in Barcelona uses an innovative new facade tiling system to blend into the landscape.
The origins, evolution and future of Level 3 BIM.
For new and returning Urban Design students, check out our article list divided up into the modules you'll be studying.
Report states that health of urban dwellers could be significantly improved by rethinking transport design.
The Kremlin, the centre of Russian power, includes some of the country's finest architecture.
Report launched outlining steps for a national infrastructure system that is efficient, sustainable, and delivers until 2050.
A review of Justin Bere's concise and well-presented introductory guide to Passive House.
This article describes in detail the tender process for a typical commercial construction contract.
'The filing cabinet' which was labelled one of the best British buildings of the 21st century.