The Joint Contracts Tribunal (JCT) was formed by the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) In 1931 when the first JCT standard form of building contract was issued (although the forms were not referred to as ‘JCT’ until 1977). JCT became a Limited Company in 1998.
It now produces a range of standard forms of contract for the construction of buildings accompanied by guidance notes and other standard forms of documentation, such as:
- Consultant agreements.
- Design agreements between an employer and a specialist designer.
- Forms of tender for main contractors, sub-contractors and sub-sub-contractors.
- Forms of contract for the supply of goods.
- Forms of bond.
- Collateral warranties.
The range of JCT construction contracts comprises:
- Standard Building Contract
- Intermediate Building Contract
- Minor Works Building Contract
- Major Project Construction Contract
- Design and Build Contract
- Management Building Contract
- Construction Management Contract
- JCT-CE Contract
- Measured Term Contract
- Prime Cost Building Contract
- Repair & Maintenance Contract
- Home Owner Contracts
JCT has seven member organisations, each representing a different sector of the construction industry, each of which nominates a Director to the JCT Board:
- British Property Federation.
- Contractors Legal Grp Limited.
- Local Government Association.
- National Specialist Contractors Council.
- Royal Institute of British Architects.
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
- Scottish Building Contract Committee Limited.
The JCT Council comprises 47 representatives who form the company’s five ‘Colleges’. It is these colleges that produce and amend the forms of contract:
- Employers, Clients and Local Authorities (British Property Federation, Local Government Association).
- Consultants (Association for Project Management, Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors, Royal Institute of British Architects, Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors).
- Contractors (Contractors Legal Grp Limited).
- Specialists and Sub-contractors (National Specialist Contractors Council).
- Scottish Building Industry (Scottish Building Contract Committee Limited).
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Appointing consultants.
- Articles of agreement.
- Building Information Modelling (BIM), Collaborative and Integrated Team Working.
- Collateral warranty.
- Construction contract.
- Intermediate Building Contract.
- Key dates.
- Latham report.
- Minor works.
- Modifying clauses in standard forms of contract.
- Named specialist work.
- Procurement route.
Featured articles and news
Sadiq Khan publishes a new development strategy for the capital.
In the week of the momentous Heathrow decision, we look back at the development and design of T5.
BSRIA’s flagship event will address performance and wellbeing beyond compliance.
Young Architects and Developers Alliance launched to build the relationship between the two disciplines.
BS 8536-2:2016 Design and construction: Code of practice for asset management (Linear and geographical infrastructure).
Paying for off-site goods or materials can be useful, but it puts the client at risk.
People power can be transformative if properly informed and inspired.
ZHA win competition to build an Urban Heritage Administration Centre in Saudi Arabia.
Leaps, not steps, are needed to avoid a ticking time bomb, say BRE in response to Farmer Review.
A multi-purpose hall in France covered in a translucent orange membrane.
Winning designs revealed for a rock formation-influenced residential complex in Rennes.
An article explaining the techniques, regulations and environmental impacts of carbon capture and storage.
Watch one of the first documentaries by the acclaimed Adam Curtis, examining the substandard system building of the 1960s.