FIDIC (‘Fédération Internationale des Ingénieurs-Conseils’ or ‘the International Federation of Consulting Engineers’) was founded in 1913. It is a membership organisation, with members comprising national associations of consulting engineers from 97 countries.
It was created to promote the consulting engineering industry’s strategic goals and to disseminate information and resources.
It describes its objectives as:
- Being the recognised international authority on issues relating to consulting engineering best practice.
- Actively promoting high standards of ethics and integrity.
- Maintaining and enhancing FIDIC’s representation of the consulting engineering industry worldwide.
- Enhancing the image of consulting engineering.
- Promoting and assisting the worldwide development of viable consulting engineering industries.
- Promoting and enhancing the leading position of FIDIC’s forms of contract.
- Improving and developing FIDIC’s training and publishing activities.
- Promoting and encouraging the development of young professionals in the consulting engineering industry.
FIDIC's activities are carried out by committees and task forces appointed by an Executive Committee elected by the General Assembly.
Its core suite of contracts includes:
- Conditions of Contract for Construction (The Red Book).
- Conditions of Contract for Plant & Design-Build (The Yellow Book).
- Conditions of Contract for EPC Turnkey Projects (The Silver Book).
These are supplemented by a wide range of additional contracts and agreements, including:
- Short Form of Contract (The Green Book).
- Model Representative Agreement (The Purple Book).
- Client / Consultant Model Services Agreement (White Book).
- Dredgers Contract.
- Conditions of Contract for Design, Build and Operate Projects (DBO Contract).
- Conditions of Contract for Construction for Building and Engineering Works Designed by the Employer: The Construction Contract
- Conditions of Contract for Construction for Building and Engineering Works Designed by the Employer (MDB Harmonised Edition) - for bank financed projects only: The MDB Construction Contract
- Conditions of Contract for Plant and Design-Build for Electrical and Mechanical Plant and for Building and Engineering Works Designed by the Contractor: The Plant and Design-Build Contract.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Articles of agreement.
- Construction contract.
- Key dates.
- Minor works.
- Modifying clauses in standard forms of contract.
- Procurement route.
 External references
Featured articles and news
The origins, evolution and future of Level 3 BIM.
For new and returning Urban Design students, check out our article list divided up into the modules you'll be studying.
Report states that health of urban dwellers could be significantly improved by rethinking transport design.
The Kremlin, the centre of Russian power, includes some of the country's finest architecture.
Report launched outlining steps for a national infrastructure system that is efficient, sustainable, and delivers until 2050.
A review of Justin Bere's concise and well-presented introductory guide to Passive House.
This article describes in detail the tender process for a typical commercial construction contract.
What is energy storage, what are the different types and what is its future?
MAD Architects reveal their designs for a state-of-the-art concert hall in Beijing.
Take a look at BIG's designs for two twisting towers in New York City.
'The filing cabinet' which was labelled one of the best British buildings of the 21st century.