Local planning authorities are required to undertake statutory consultations on proposed development as set out in Article 10 of the Town and Country Planning (General Development Procedure) Order 1995.
Statutory consultees may include:
- Local authority.
- Parish and community councils.
- Building control.
- Canal and River Trust.
- Civil Aviation Authority.
- The Crown Estates Commissioners.
- The Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
- Historic England.
- English Nature.
- Environment Agency.
- Forestry Commission.
- Garden History Society.
- Greater London Authority.
- Health and Safety Executive.
- Highways England.
- Local Highway Authority.
- Ministry of Defence.
- Ministry for Agriculture, Food and Fisheries.
- Natural England.
- The rail network operator.
- The Secretary of State for Trade and Industry.
- Sport England.
- The Theatres Trust.
- Toll Road Concessionaires.
- Port of London Authority.
Other non-statutory consultees could include:
- The Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment (now part of the Design Council).
- County archaeological officers.
- Inland Revenue.
- Local authority environmental health officers.
- Minerals planning authorities.
- Navigation authorities.
- Police architectural liaison officers and crime prevention design advisers.
- Waste disposal authorities.
In addition building regulations approval will be required. This can be provided by the local authority or by an approved inspector. See statutory approvals and building regulations for more information.
NB the Penfold Review has made proposals for streamlining non-planning consents, some of which are now being implemented by the government.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Building regulations.
- Conservation areas.
- Consultation process.
- Designated sites.
- Listed buildings.
- Natural England.
- Penfold Review.
- Planning permission.
- Site of Special Scientific Interest.
- Statutory approvals.
- Statutory obligations.
- Statutory undertakers.
- Third party dependencies.
- Tree preservation orders.
 External references
- The Town and Country Planning (General Development Procedure) Order 1995.
- Planning Portal, Statutory consultees.
- Planning Portal, Statutory consultee information page.
Featured articles and news
Watch one of the first documentaries by the acclaimed Adam Curtis, examining the substandard system building of the 1960s.
Take a look at the tech start-up that could transform construction design and communication.
This house in Barcelona uses an innovative new facade tiling system to blend into the landscape.
The origins, evolution and future of Level 3 BIM.
For new and returning Urban Design students, check out our article list divided up into the modules you'll be studying.
Report states that health of urban dwellers could be significantly improved by rethinking transport design.
The Kremlin, the centre of Russian power, includes some of the country's finest architecture.
Report launched outlining steps for a national infrastructure system that is efficient, sustainable, and delivers until 2050.
A review of Justin Bere's concise and well-presented introductory guide to Passive House.
This article describes in detail the tender process for a typical commercial construction contract.
'The filing cabinet' which was labelled one of the best British buildings of the 21st century.