Local planning authorities are required to undertake statutory consultations on proposed development as set out in Article 10 of the Town and Country Planning (General Development Procedure) Order 1995.
Statutory consultees may include:
- Local authority.
- Parish and community councils.
- Building control.
- Canal and River Trust.
- Civil Aviation Authority.
- The Crown Estates Commissioners.
- The Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
- Historic England.
- English Nature.
- Environment Agency.
- Forestry Commission.
- Garden History Society.
- Greater London Authority.
- Health and Safety Executive.
- Highways England.
- Local Highway Authority.
- Ministry of Defence.
- Ministry for Agriculture, Food and Fisheries.
- Natural England.
- The rail network operator.
- The Secretary of State for Trade and Industry.
- Sport England.
- The Theatres Trust.
- Toll Road Concessionaires.
- Port of London Authority.
Other non-statutory consultees could include:
- The Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment (now part of the Design Council).
- County archaeological officers.
- Inland Revenue.
- Local authority environmental health officers.
- Minerals planning authorities.
- Navigation authorities.
- Police architectural liaison officers and crime prevention design advisers.
- Waste disposal authorities.
In addition building regulations approval will be required. This can be provided by the local authority or by an approved inspector. See statutory approvals and building regulations for more information.
NB the Penfold Review has made proposals for streamlining non-planning consents, some of which are now being implemented by the government.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Building regulations.
- Conservation areas.
- Consultation process.
- Designated sites.
- Listed buildings.
- Natural England.
- Penfold Review.
- Planning permission.
- Site of Special Scientific Interest.
- Statutory approvals.
- Statutory obligations.
- Statutory undertakers.
- Third party dependencies.
- Tree preservation orders.
 External references
- The Town and Country Planning (General Development Procedure) Order 1995.
- Planning Portal, Statutory consultees.
- Planning Portal, Statutory consultee information page.
Featured articles and news
In the week of the momentous Heathrow decision, we look back at the development and design of T5.
BSRIA’s flagship event will address performance and wellbeing beyond compliance.
Young Architects and Developers Alliance launched to build the relationship between the two disciplines.
BS 8536-2:2016 Design and construction: Code of practice for asset management (Linear and geographical infrastructure).
Paying for off-site goods or materials can be useful, but it puts the client at risk.
People power can be transformative if properly informed and inspired.
ZHA win competition to build an Urban Heritage Administration Centre in Saudi Arabia.
Leaps, not steps, are needed to avoid a ticking time bomb, say BRE in response to Farmer Review.
A multi-purpose hall in France covered in a translucent orange membrane.
Winning designs revealed for a rock formation-influenced residential complex in Rennes.
An article explaining the techniques, regulations and environmental impacts of carbon capture and storage.
Watch one of the first documentaries by the acclaimed Adam Curtis, examining the substandard system building of the 1960s.