Options review report
An options review report might be prepared following an options appraisal exercise, to help the client select their preferred option from a range of possibilities. A project brief for the preferred option can then be prepared so that consultants can be appointed to begin the design process.
The options review report might contain:
- A general description of the options.
- Diagrammatic sketch layouts.
- The overall consequences of each option for the client's operations.
- Assessment of compatibility with the strategic brief and business case.
- Assessment of the overall feasibility of each option.
- Potential for future-proofing.
- Planning permission issues (including the potential requirement for an environmental impact assessment).
- Sustainability considerations.
- Impact on the local community and environment.
- Third party dependencies.
- Value management exercises.
- Whole-life costs with a rudimentary assessment of costs/sqm, configuration and servicing.
- Time-frames, phasing and key milestones.
- Procurement route.
- Project risks.
It may include drawings, massing models and other material that the client finds easy to assess against the strategic brief, as well as technical assessments. Wherever possible this information should be prepared in a form that is easy to interrogate, compare and test against the strategic brief and should draw on data and sources that are being managed in a consistent way. Information should be stored and named in a way consistent with the long-term project and operational needs.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
The origins, evolution and future of Level 3 BIM.
For new and returning Urban Design students, check out our article list divided up into the modules you'll be studying.
Report states that health of urban dwellers could be significantly improved by rethinking transport design.
The Kremlin, the centre of Russian power, includes some of the country's finest architecture.
Report launched outlining steps for a national infrastructure system that is efficient, sustainable, and delivers until 2050.
A review of Justin Bere's concise and well-presented introductory guide to Passive House.
This article describes in detail the tender process for a typical commercial construction contract.
What is energy storage, what are the different types and what is its future?
MAD Architects reveal their designs for a state-of-the-art concert hall in Beijing.
Take a look at BIG's designs for two twisting towers in New York City.
'The filing cabinet' which was labelled one of the best British buildings of the 21st century.