Patterns was an occasional, in-house technical journal published by Buro Happold between 1987 and 2011. There were 16 editions of Patterns and 2 special issues.
Considered seminal at the time, Patterns had a significant influence on engineering for several decades. Patterns is reproduced here with the kind permission of Buro Happold because of its historical interest and the impact it has had on the development of engineering theory.
Patterns 10 was published in December 1991.
The contents of Patterns 10 are:
- Christmas decorations for Imagination Ltd, London. By Glyn Trippick.
- The lifting of the Calshot at Ocean Village, Southampton. By Vincent Grant & Paul Ruffles.
- Banners launch BP shares. By Mike Cook and Ian Liddell.
- Community building on Iona. By Rod Macdonald.
- TRAIL computer simulation. By Clive Morrison and John Froud.
- Rediscovering the city walls and gates of Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. By Vincent Grant and Padraic Kelly.
- The Commerzbank, Frankfurt - a proposal for a green headquarters tower building. By Rudiger Lutz, Tony Mclaughlin, Michael Dickson & Ted Happold.
- Landslips at Cannons Country Club, Bath. By Isobel Lloyd.
- Bus shelters given 'street cred'. By Morteza Mohammadi.
- The Hyperion Airship at EuroDisneyland, Paris. By Ian Liddell, Simon Wright & Ken Carmichael.
- The Heart Tent - an artform in glass. By Eddie Pugh.
- Journey to the South Pole. By Ian Liddell.
Patterns is reproduced with the kind permission of --Buro Happold.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Patterns 1: October 1987.
- Patterns 2: April 1988.
- Patterns 3: August 1988.
- Patterns 4: November 1988.
- Patterns 5: May 1989.
- Patterns 6: July 1990.
- Patterns 7: December 1990.
- Patterns 8: May 1991.
- Patterns 9: October 1991.
- Patterns 11: August 1993.
- Patterns 12: July 1997.
- Patterns 13: March 2001.
- Patterns 14: March 2005.
- Patterns: Ground Source Energy. 2008.
- Patterns: Specialist Consulting, 2007.
- Patterns 15: Autumn / Winter 2010.
- Patterns 16: Autumn / Winter 2011.
Featured articles and news
The Kremlin, the centre of Russian power, includes some of the country's finest architecture.
Report launched outlining steps for a national infrastructure system that is efficient, sustainable, and delivers until 2050.
A review of Justin Bere's concise and well-presented introductory guide to Passive House.
This article describes in detail the tender process for a typical commercial construction contract.
What is energy storage, what are the different types and what is its future?
MAD Architects reveal their designs for a state-of-the-art concert hall in Beijing.
Take a look at BIG's designs for two twisting towers in New York City.
'The filing cabinet' which was labelled one of the best British buildings of the 21st century.
ICE's Bridge Engineering exhibition opens, showcasing a record-breaking LEGO bridge.
London-based architect unveils designs for tallest building in Israel.