Installation drawings are developed from co-ordinated detail drawings and present the information needed by trades to install part of the works. This may be particularly important for complex installations such as plant rooms, data centres, ventilation systems, underfloor heating and so on.
They may comprise plans, sections and elevations, but increasingly building information modelling (BIM) is being used to create detailed 3 dimensional representations of buildings and their components which may include installation information.
Installation drawings may include information about:
- Precise positioning.
- Supports and fixings.
- Information from manufacturers shop drawings.
- Space allowances for installation.
- Builders work in connection, such as; cutting and sealing holes, chasing block and brickwork for conduits or pipes, lifting and replacing floors, constructing plinths and so on.
- Plant or equipment requirements.
- Requirements for service connections.
- Requirement to leave access space for operation and maintenance.
- Other maintenance access requirements such as access panels, decking, platforms, ladders and handrails.
It is important that the information presented is carefully co-ordinated so that clashes are avoided.
Installation drawings may include specification information, or this may be provided in a separate specification, but information should not be duplicated as this can become contradictory and may cause confusion.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Report states that health of urban dwellers could be significantly improved by rethinking transport design.
The Kremlin, the centre of Russian power, includes some of the country's finest architecture.
Report launched outlining steps for a national infrastructure system that is efficient, sustainable, and delivers until 2050.
A review of Justin Bere's concise and well-presented introductory guide to Passive House.
This article describes in detail the tender process for a typical commercial construction contract.
What is energy storage, what are the different types and what is its future?
MAD Architects reveal their designs for a state-of-the-art concert hall in Beijing.
Take a look at BIG's designs for two twisting towers in New York City.
'The filing cabinet' which was labelled one of the best British buildings of the 21st century.
ICE's Bridge Engineering exhibition opens, showcasing a record-breaking LEGO bridge.