The British Standards Institution (BSI) is the UK National Standards Body (NSB). It publishes standards and provides a range of books, self-assessment tools, conferences and training services. It also represents UK economic and social interests in European and international standards organisations.
British Standard (BS) publications are technical specifications or practices that can be used as guidance for the production of a product, carrying out a process or providing a service.
- BS 8541-1:2012 Library objects for architecture, engineering and construction. Identification and classification. Code of practice. Guidance and recommendations for the identification and classification of library objects.
- BS 8541-2:2011 Library objects for architecture, engineering and construction. Recommended 2D symbols of building elements for use in building information modelling. Guidance and recommendations for architectural and land registry symbols and graphic conventions for those preparing drawings. Symbols for mechanical, electrical and plumbing, structural steel sections and welding are deferred to the relevant institutes. This part of BS 8541 supersedes BS 1192-3:1987, which is withdrawn.
- BS 8541-3: 2012 Library objects for architecture, engineering and construction. Shape and measurement. Code of practice. Guidance and recommendations for characterising the shape and measurement of generic objects and manufacturer's product objects.
- BS 8541-4: 2012 Library objects for architecture, engineering and construction. Attributes for specification and assessment. Code of practice. Guidance and recommendations for specifying and assessing attributes of generic objects and manufacturer's product objects.
- BS 8541-5:2015 Library objects for architecture, engineering and construction - Assemblies. Code of practice. Guidance and recommendations for sharing sub-models of combinations of components and spaces, covering naming, classification and nesting.
- BS 8541-6: 2015 Library objects for architecture, engineering and construction - Product and facility declarations. Code of practice. Guidance and recommendations for sharing data from product declarations, labelling and environmental tables.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BIM articles.
- BIM glossary of terms.
- BIM object.
- BIM resources.
- BIM standards.
- British Board of Agrément.
- BS 1192.
- BS 1192-4:2014. Collaborative production of information Part 4: Fulfilling employer's information exchange requirements using COBie – Code of practice.
- BS 8534.
- Building information modelling.
- CE mark.
- Common data environment.
- Computer aided design.
- Industry Foundation Classes.
- International Organisation for Standardisation.
- PAS 1192-2
- PAS 1192-3
- Publicly available specification.
- Uniclass 2.
- Uniclass 2015.
Featured articles and news
Sadiq Khan publishes a new development strategy for the capital.
In the week of the momentous Heathrow decision, we look back at the development and design of T5.
BSRIA’s flagship event will address performance and wellbeing beyond compliance.
Young Architects and Developers Alliance launched to build the relationship between the two disciplines.
BS 8536-2:2016 Design and construction: Code of practice for asset management (Linear and geographical infrastructure).
Paying for off-site goods or materials can be useful, but it puts the client at risk.
People power can be transformative if properly informed and inspired.
ZHA win competition to build an Urban Heritage Administration Centre in Saudi Arabia.
Leaps, not steps, are needed to avoid a ticking time bomb, say BRE in response to Farmer Review.
A multi-purpose hall in France covered in a translucent orange membrane.
Winning designs revealed for a rock formation-influenced residential complex in Rennes.
An article explaining the techniques, regulations and environmental impacts of carbon capture and storage.
Watch one of the first documentaries by the acclaimed Adam Curtis, examining the substandard system building of the 1960s.