Legislative framework for building design and construction
To help develop this article, click 'Edit this article' above.
 Town and country planning
- Based on guidance from National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF).
- Provides guidance for local planning objectives + policies.
- Consult: Local authority (LA) website for LDF.
- Consult for 12 core planning principles (Paragraph 17).
- Any previous relevant objections.
- Consult: Planning Portal.
Section 106 (If large project):
- May be required for planning obligations that improve local area as compromise for disruption.
- Consult: Local Planning Authority.
Conservation Area (CA):
- Permission required for demolition and alterations.
- Article 4 direction may apply (prevents permitted development).
- Consult: LA planning website (see if area is a CA).
NPPF section 12 (for guidance of objectives and policies):
- Conservation Officer (for advice).
- Listed building: Criminal offence to alter/demolish without Listed Building Consent
- Consult: Local Planning Authority (for consent)
- Historic England Website (determine if listed)
- Planning Permission if external also required.
- Legislation: Listed Buildings and Conservation areas act 1990.
- National Importance?
- Scheduled monument consent if affected.
- Consult: LA (for consent).
- Historic England (determine if scheduled).
- Planning consultant (advise best approach).
- Legislation: Ancient Monuments + archaeological Areas act 1979
- NPPF Section 10: need to be careful when choosing site
- Consult: Environment Agency.
- Flood Risk Assessment (Hydrologist report).
- Legislation: Environment Act 1995.
- Protected species (bats/newts/birds etc…).
- Possible to restore habitat/ rehome.
- Consult: Natural England (requires surveys + reports).
- Legislation: The Conservation of habitats + species regulations 2010.
- NPPF Section 11 (120) states developer’s responsibility to decontaminate.
- Consult: LA (to arrange inspection).
- Environment Agency.
- Legislation: -Environmental Protection Act 1990.
- Make client aware of responsibilities involved with CDM 2015.
- Ensures health and safety properly considered throughout development to reduce risk of harm to those who build, use and maintain it.
- Applies from start including site inspections (especially if suspected contamination).
- Consult: LA Environmental Health (for information about the site).
- Legislation: CDM 2015.
- Require survey and removal by competent surveyor/contractor.
- Legislation: Control of asbestos regulations 2012.
- Consult: Highways agency (if subject to change of access), Local Plan, LA (may require discussion over section 106 agreement).
- Legislation: Highways act 1980
- Prior to works, must give notice to adjoining neighbours of intention to build on boundary line/within 6 meters of it.
- Act provides mechanism for resolving disputes.
- Consult: Adjoining Owners
- Legislation: Party Wall Act 1996
- Rights any party may have over the land; Right of way, Right of support, Right of light.
- Consult: Land registry, Charted building surveyor specialising in rights of light.
- Legislation: Land registration act 2002.
- Restrictions to the site such as: land to remain open space/ prevent development/ prevent business use?
- Consult: Land registry.
- Annually renewed right of use by apparatus over or under someone else’s land for which payment is made.
- May apply to trees on site.
- Consult: LA.
- Legislation: Town and Country Planning (Tree Preservation) regultions 2012.
Featured articles and news
The origins, evolution and future of Level 3 BIM.
For new and returning Urban Design students, check out our article list divided up into the modules you'll be studying.
Report states that health of urban dwellers could be significantly improved by rethinking transport design.
The Kremlin, the centre of Russian power, includes some of the country's finest architecture.
Report launched outlining steps for a national infrastructure system that is efficient, sustainable, and delivers until 2050.
A review of Justin Bere's concise and well-presented introductory guide to Passive House.
This article describes in detail the tender process for a typical commercial construction contract.
What is energy storage, what are the different types and what is its future?
MAD Architects reveal their designs for a state-of-the-art concert hall in Beijing.
Take a look at BIG's designs for two twisting towers in New York City.
'The filing cabinet' which was labelled one of the best British buildings of the 21st century.