Budgets for projects should be set as early as possible.
A budget can be established by:
- Assessment of projected income and expenses through the life of the project.
- Comparison with similar projects.
- Assessment of the funds available.
- Pre-design analysis of requirements.
- Analysis of preliminary design options.
The client's total project budget may include:
- The construction cost.
- Land or property acquisition.
- Approvals fees.
- Planning costs (Section 106 Agreement or Community Infrastructure Levy).
- Financing costs.
- Site investigations.
- Fixtures, fittings and equipment.
- The cost of decanting and relocating, including costs associated with moving staff.
- Contracts outside of the main works.
- Consultant fees.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Approximate quantities cost plan.
- Bills of quantities.
- Business plan.
- Capital allowances.
- Capital costs.
- Contract sum.
- Contract sum analysis.
- Cost consultant.
- Cost control.
- Elemental cost plan
- Final account.
- Initial cost appraisals
- New Rules of Measurement.
- Pre-tender estimate.
- Tender pricing document
- Whole-life costs.
Statement from 8 contractors is interpreted as accepting workers have been defamed.
Voluntary agreement extends right to buy to housing association tenants.
Cameron announces redefinition of affordable housing to include starter homes costing up to £450,000.
As the transitional arrangements for CDM 2015 end, we summarise what the principal designer is and what they are expected to do.
George Osborne announces the creation of a new Commission to provide an unbiased analysis of the UK’s long-term infrastructure needs.
In a 1967 article, Peter Trench asked whether anyone had assessed the skill required for design compared with construction, and why the levels of education were different.
Government analysis of National Infrastructure Plan reveals demand for 100,000 additional workers by the end of the decade.
Report suggests a moderately increased housing density could create 1.4 million new homes across London.
For more news, go to the home page.