Budgets for projects should be set as early as possible.
A budget can be established by:
- Assessment of projected income and expenses through the life of the project.
- Comparison with similar projects.
- Assessment of the funds available.
- Pre-design analysis of requirements.
- Analysis of preliminary design options.
The client's total project budget may include:
- The construction cost.
- Land or property acquisition.
- Approvals fees.
- Planning costs (Section 106 Agreement or Community Infrastructure Levy).
- Financing costs.
- Site investigations.
- Fixtures, fittings and equipment.
- The cost of decanting and relocating, including costs associated with moving staff.
- Contracts outside of the main works.
- Consultant fees.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Approximate quantities cost plan.
- Bills of quantities.
- Business plan.
- Capital allowances.
- Capital costs.
- Contract sum.
- Contract sum analysis.
- Cost consultant.
- Cost control.
- Elemental cost plan
- Final account.
- Initial cost appraisals
- New Rules of Measurement.
- Pre-tender estimate.
- Tender pricing document
- Whole-life costs.
Featured articles and news
Abby Crisostomo from KLH Sustainability reflects on the end of the zero carbon homes standard.
Following cancellation of the zero-carbon homes standard, another energy-efficiency initiative bites the dust.
So what is the Strategic Forum for Construction and will it get a place on the new Construction Leadership Council?
Welsh School of Architecture proves zero-carbon is possible - just as the government standard is dumped.
BRE Global to launch a Certified Thermal Details and Products Scheme which aims to reduce the level of thermal bridging.
Read the whole sorry saga of the rise, fall and demise of the zero-carbon homes standard.
Government plan to increase productivity includes reforms to the planning system, initiatives to encourage new housing, a proposal to permit upward extension in London and the end of the zero-carbon homes standard.
We’re excited to be creating a new role for a full-time content editor. Applicants should have exceptional writing skills and be passionate about the construction industry.
For more news, go to the home page.