Budgets for projects should be set as early as possible.
A budget can be established by:
- Assessment of projected income and expenses through the life of the project.
- Comparison with similar projects.
- Assessment of the funds available.
- Pre-design analysis of requirements.
- Analysis of preliminary design options.
The client's total project budget may include:
- The construction cost.
- Land or property acquisition.
- Approvals fees.
- Planning costs (Section 106 Agreement or Community Infrastructure Levy).
- Financing costs.
- Site investigations.
- Fixtures, fittings and equipment.
- The cost of decanting and relocating, including costs associated with moving staff.
- Contracts outside of the main works.
- Consultant fees.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Approximate quantities cost plan.
- Bills of quantities.
- Business plan.
- Capital allowances.
- Capital costs.
- Construction loan.
- Contract sum.
- Contract sum analysis.
- Cost consultant.
- Cost control.
- Elemental cost plan
- Final account.
- Initial cost appraisals.
- Net Present Value.
- New Rules of Measurement.
- Outturn cost.
- Pre-tender estimate.
- Tender pricing document
- Whole-life costs.
Roberta Blackman-Woods MP says that Labour is 'fully supportive' of home-ownership aspirations, expresses hope that the Lords will tackle the 'very bad' Housing and Planning Bill, and vows to 'lobby strongly' for the reinstatement of the Zero Carbon Homes initiative.
A profile of perhaps the most iconic skyscraper in the world, now regarded as an exemplary model of retrofit energy efficiency.
Panel reconvened by government and given a broader remit.
From 1 April local authorities will be required to keep a register of aspiring self and custom house builders when planning for future housing and land use.
New platform makes data available from Innovate UK’s £8 million Buildings Performance Evaluation programme.
A panel of architects and urban designers debate whether decentralisation can solve the housing crisis.
A list of the most impressive bridges from around the world.
The government's new Right to Rent rules for landlords are rolled out across England.
Dramatic new health and safety enforcements, with new sentencing guidelines for offences, are now applicable.
A profile of one of the world's most celebrated architects, Frank Gehry.
For more news, go to the home page.