A budget is a statement of the amount of money that is available to spend over a period of time, or on a specific thing, such as a building. It may include an outline plan for how that money will be spent, and a breakdown of the items it will be spent on.
Budgets help determine what is affordable and should be set as early as possible. It is important that they are based on evidence and that they are realistic.
A budget can be established by:
- Assessment of projected income and expenses through the life of the project.
- Comparison with similar projects.
- Assessment of the funds available.
- Pre-design analysis of requirements.
- Analysis of preliminary design options.
The client's total project budget may include:
- The construction cost.
- Land or property acquisition.
- Approvals fees.
- Planning costs (Section 106 Agreement or Community Infrastructure Levy).
- Financing costs.
- Site investigations.
- Fixtures, fittings and equipment.
- The cost of decanting and relocating, including costs associated with moving staff.
- Contracts outside of the main works.
- Consultant fees.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Approximate quantities cost plan.
- Best value.
- Bills of quantities.
- Business administration.
- Business plan.
- Capital allowances.
- Capital costs.
- Commercial management.
- Construction loan.
- Construction organisations and strategy.
- Contract sum.
- Contract sum analysis.
- Cost consultant.
- Cost control.
- Elemental cost plan
- Final account.
- Initial cost appraisals.
- Net Present Value.
- New Rules of Measurement.
- Outturn cost.
- Pre-tender estimate.
- Tender pricing document.
- Working capital.
- Whole-life costs.
Featured articles and news
Take a look at the tech start-up that could transform construction design and communication.
This house in Barcelona uses an innovative new facade tiling system to blend into the landscape.
The origins, evolution and future of Level 3 BIM.
For new and returning Urban Design students, check out our article list divided up into the modules you'll be studying.
Report states that health of urban dwellers could be significantly improved by rethinking transport design.
The Kremlin, the centre of Russian power, includes some of the country's finest architecture.
Report launched outlining steps for a national infrastructure system that is efficient, sustainable, and delivers until 2050.
A review of Justin Bere's concise and well-presented introductory guide to Passive House.
This article describes in detail the tender process for a typical commercial construction contract.
What is energy storage, what are the different types and what is its future?
'The filing cabinet' which was labelled one of the best British buildings of the 21st century.