A budget is a statement of the amount of money that is available to spend over a period of time, or on a specific thing, such as a building. It may include an outline plan for how that money will be spent, and a breakdown of the items it will be spent on.
Budgets help determine what is affordable and should be set as early as possible. It is important that they are based on evidence and that they are realistic.
A budget can be established by:
- Assessment of projected income and expenses through the life of the project.
- Comparison with similar projects.
- Assessment of the funds available.
- Pre-design analysis of requirements.
- Analysis of preliminary design options.
The client's total project budget may include:
- The construction cost.
- Land or property acquisition.
- Approvals fees.
- Planning costs (Section 106 Agreement or Community Infrastructure Levy).
- Financing costs.
- Site investigations.
- Fixtures, fittings and equipment.
- The cost of decanting and relocating, including costs associated with moving staff.
- Contracts outside of the main works.
- Consultant fees.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Approximate quantities cost plan.
- Best value.
- Bills of quantities.
- Business administration.
- Business plan.
- Capital allowances.
- Capital costs.
- Commercial management.
- Construction loan.
- Construction organisations and strategy.
- Contract sum.
- Contract sum analysis.
- Cost consultant.
- Cost control.
- Elemental cost plan
- Final account.
- Initial cost appraisals.
- Net Present Value.
- New Rules of Measurement.
- Outturn cost.
- Pre-tender estimate.
- Tender pricing document.
- Working capital.
- Whole-life costs.
The story behind the futuristic Space Needle of Seattle.
We're looking for a motivated and experienced individual to nurture our existing clients and develop new media sales opportunities.
What are pile foundations and how do they work?
IHBC joins Civic Voice in celebrating 50 years of Conservation Areas.
Waldspirale - 'forest spiral' - a German residential complex with 1000 unique windows and vegetated roof.
As the weather gets hotter, an article about the types and methods of swimming pool construction.
Ilka May of Arup reviews progress of BIM implementation in Germany.
What are the variations in architect's fees based on?
Designing Buildings Wiki spoke with Harriet Latimer about her career-to-date and why more girls should consider engineering.
BRE launch photovoltaic certification scheme for systems of 50 kWp and above.
What is included in a design and construction project brief?
For more news, go to the home page.