Budgets for projects should be set as early as possible.
A budget can be established by:
- Assessment of projected income and expenses through the life of the project.
- Comparison with similar projects.
- Assessment of the funds available.
- Pre-design analysis of requirements.
- Analysis of preliminary design options.
The client's total project budget may include:
- The construction cost.
- Land or property acquisition.
- Approvals fees.
- Planning costs (Section 106 Agreement or Community Infrastructure Levy).
- Financing costs.
- Site investigations.
- Fixtures, fittings and equipment.
- The cost of decanting and relocating, including costs associated with moving staff.
- Contracts outside of the main works.
- Consultant fees.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Approximate quantities cost plan.
- Bills of quantities.
- Business plan.
- Capital allowances.
- Capital costs.
- Contract sum.
- Contract sum analysis.
- Cost consultant.
- Cost control.
- Elemental cost plan
- Final account.
- Initial cost appraisals
- New Rules of Measurement.
- Pre-tender estimate.
- Tender pricing document
- Whole-life costs.
Featured articles and news
We just had our busiest ever day at Designing Buildings Wiki with more than 20,000 page views. Check out our latest stats.
What is architectural design? Mike Davies from RSH+P explains the process.
Conservative manifesto pledges extending the right to buy to housing association tenants.
More than 3,000 people have registered on Designing Buildings Wiki. Register now and you can create a profile page, start new articles and receive our weekly news summary to make sure you stay up to date. It’s quick to do and completely free.
German architect and pioneer of tensile structures, Frei Otto, has died at the age of 89.
Approved Document Q: Security – Dwellings, will come into force on 1 October 2015.
The government has published a Nationally Described Space Standard for new dwellings.
New public body takes over planning and conservation services from English Heritage.
DCLG has published Starter Homes Design, an initial set of starter home exemplars put together by the Design Advisory Panel.
For more news, go to the home page.