Urban water systems management: A data analytics approach EP 105
On 10 April 2018, BRE published Urban water systems management: A data analytics approach (EP 105), by Tom Beach, Shaun Howell and Yacine Rezgui.
The adoption of new information communication technology (ICT) to enable water network operators to intelligently monitor, analyse real-time information, and take appropriate actions, is seen as a key way of reducing the strain on urban water systems.
To this end, the water industry has begun a transformation through the use of smart systems. A big part of this is the increased adoption of sensors analytics software, and decision support tools. However, current smart systems technologies are severely lacking in integration between their different elements. Furthermore, they lack the ability to contextualise the large amount of data collected from urban water systems in a way that promotes scalability, portability and future adaptability.
Its contents are:
- Executive summary.
- Background to urban water systems and semantics.
- Data management in urban water systems.
- Using managed data to deliver analytics.
- A methodology for urban water analytic deployment.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE Buzz articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE Buzz.
- Building Research Establishment.
- Passive water efficiency measures
- Rainwater harvesting.
- Sustainable urban drainage systems.
- Sustainable water.
- Trading systems for water resources.
- Types of water.
Issue support documents
Issue support documents are written for named BREEAM Issues or sub-issues. They are not scheme specific so they aim to be applicable to that issue in any scheme but individual scheme nuances may be expressed within each article. More info.
All these articles are dynamic and so welcome additions and improvements to all especially those marked (ac) = awaiting content.
- BREEAM Stakeholder consultation (ac)
- BREEAM Sustainability champion
- BREEAM Life cycle cost and service life planning (ac)
- BREEAM Environmental management
- BREEAM Considerate construction
- BREEAM Monitoring of construction site impacts
- BREEAM Commissioning (ac)
- BREEAM Handover (ac)
- BREEAM Inclusive and accessible design (ac)
- BREEAM Aftercare support
- BREEAM Seasonal commissioning
- BREEAM Post occupancy evaluation (ac)
 Health and Wellbeing
- BREEAM Visual comfort Daylighting (partly ac)
- BREEAM Visual comfort View out
- BREEAM Visual comfort Glare control
- BREEAM Internal and external lighting (ac)
- BREEAM Indoor air quality plan
- BREEAM Indoor air quality Ventilation
- BREEAM Indoor pollutants VOCs (ac)
- BREEAM Potential for natural ventilation (ac)
- BREEAM Safe containment in laboratories (ac)
- BREEAM Thermal comfort
- BREEAM Acoustic performance (ac)
- BREEAM Safety and security (ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of energy use and carbon emissions
- BREEAM Energy monitoring
- BREEAM External lighting (ac)
- BREEAM Low carbon design
- BREEAM Passive design
- BREEAM Free cooling
- BREEAM LZC technologies
- BREEAM Energy efficient cold storage (partly ac)
- BREEAM Energy efficient transportation systems (ac)
- BREEAM Energy efficient laboratory systems
- BREEAM Energy efficient equipment (partly ac)
- BREEAM Drying space
- BREEAM Public transport accessibility
- BREEAM Proximity to amenities (ac)
- BREEAM Cyclist facilities
- BREEAM Alternative modes of transport (ac)
- BREEAM Maximum car parking capacity
- BREEAM Travel plan
- BREEAM Home office (ac)
- BREEAM Water consumption
- BREEAM Water monitoring (ac)
- BREEAM Water leak detection (ac)
- BREEAM Water efficient equipment
- BREEAM Life cycle impacts (ac)
- BREEAM Hard landscaping and boundary protection
- BREEAM Responsible sourcing of materials
- BREEAM Insulation
- BREEAM Designing for durability and resilience
- BREEAM Material efficiency (ac)
- BREEAM Construction waste management
- BREEAM Recycled aggregates
- BREEAM Operational waste (ac)
- BREEAM Speculative floor & ceiling finishes
- BREEAM Adaptation to climate change
- BREEAM Functional adaptability (ac)
 Land Use and Ecology
- BREEAM Site Selection
- BREEAM Ecological value of site
- BREEAM Protection of ecological features
- BREEAM Minimising impact on existing site ecology
- BREEAM Enhancing site ecology
- BREEAM Long term impact on biodiversity (ac)
- BREEAM Impact of refrigerants
- BREEAM NOx emissions
- BREEAM Flood risk management (ac)
- BREEAM Surface water run-off (ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of night time light pollution (partly ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of noise pollution
Once an ISD has been initially created the '(ac)' marker can be removed
This particular index is based around the structure of the New Construction and RFO schemes.