- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 23 Feb 2018
The use of Stylite EPS Geofill for utility protection
Engineering designs often call for the placement of new fill over existing underground structures that were not designed to support the increased loads. Rather than removing or strengthening the existing underground structures, the new fill load can be reduced to a tolerable level by using EPS Geofill instead of heavier traditional fills.
[Image: EPS being installed over an existing culvert to allow road widening.]
 Some of the key benefits of EPS Geofill include:
- Lightweight compared to other fills.
- High compressive strength.
- Easy to install and cut on-site.
- Lower overall cost of construction.
- Reduced loads on underlying ground.
- Reduced construction programmes.
- Available in standard or bespoke blocks.
- Minimal water absorption & permeability.
- Resistant to rot & durable.
- 100% recyclable.
- No HFC’s, CFC’s or HCFC’s.
--Styrene Packaging and Insulation Ltd 11:58, 16 Jan 2018 (BST)
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Beam and Polystyrene Block Suspended Flooring - Case Study
- Compressive Strength of Expanded Polystyrene
- Bridge Abutments
- Lightweight Voidfill
- Rail embankments
- EPS Geofill - Retaining Walls
- EPS Geofill - Road Construction
- EPS Geofill Civil Engineering - Case Study
- Fire behaviour of Expanded Polystyrene
- Passivehaus Foundation Insulation - Case Study
- Profiled and cut to fall roof insulation - case study
- The Benefits of Specifying Expanded Polystyrene in External Wall Insulation Systems
Featured articles and news
A right to light generally refers to the right to receive sufficient light through an opening.
Interference and compatibility - the effects of electromagnetic fields in the workplace.
Important action is being taken to inspire young people to train as engineers.
A survey of Leicester’s historic buildings resulted in local listing being taken more seriously.
Demolition is the most high risk activity in the construction sector. Read our introductory article here.
BSRIA report on the domestic boiler market, with China recording the most 'dynamic market uptake'.
Do we really know everything important about the impacts of our infrastructure projects? And if we don’t, does it matter?
Former Chief executive Richard Howson blames government for being 'poor payers'.
An environmental plan is an essential tool for setting and managing environmental objectives for a project.
CLC call for an 'outcome-based, transparent and efficient' industry with new report.