- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 09 Sep 2017
The role of codes, standards and approvals in delivering fire safety
BRE’s Information Paper, The role of codes, standards and approvals in delivering fire safety (IP 5/16) was written by Sarah Colwell and published by IHS on 7 September 2016.
New and emerging markets bring with them an increasing need to demonstrate compliance with a wide range of codes and standards, and this has the potential to cause confusion between the performance of products when tested and the evidence needed to meet different local requirements.
This Information Paper:
- Identifies the processes used to test and approve fire suppression products.
- Discusses the risks of assuming compatibility between different codes and standards.
- Considers the differences between the types of documentary evidence used to support products in the form of test reports compared with third-party certification.
- Discusses the importance of the appropriate design, installation and maintenance of systems, with possibilities for mitigating risks for the building owner or occupier.
Its contents include:
- Which building codes?
- Selection of design and installation standards.
- Product performance standards.
- CE marking and third-party approval.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Approved document B.
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BS 9999.
- Building Research Establishment.
- CE marking
- Fire detection and alarm system.
- Fire detector.
- Fire performance of external thermal insulation for walls of multistorey buildings, third edition (BR 135).
- Fire protection engineering.
- Fire safety design.
- Fire safety officer.
- Ionisation smoke alarm.
- Joint fire code.
- Managing fire risk in commercial buildings: A guide for facilities managers.
- Optical smoke alarm.
- Smoke detector.
- The causes of false fire alarms in buildings.
- Understanding the factors affecting flashover of a fire in modern buildings.
Featured articles and news
A new guide to fire safety and security in the selection of doorsets.
Review of the long-awaited discourse on these beautifully produced, colourful wallpapers.
From alabaster to travertine – how many types do you know?
Well-designed lighting helps maintain a healthy physiological and psychological balance.
Transferring the risk for obtaining the target BREEAM rating.
A simple but effective way to determine the root cause of an issue.
BSRIA report suggest the European market will double to 415 million Euros by 2023.
Why a wellbeing strategy is vital for property managers.
An ECA briefing for members about the commercial implications of leaving the EU.
A crucial moment on any project - and fraught with danger.
The performance gap from a Northern Ireland perspective.