The Building Research Park is an open-to-the-elements facility at Wroughton Airfield, that offers the capability of full-scale research into building materials and systems using 16 re-configurable research buildings. It is part of the BRE Centre for Innovative Construction Materials (BRE CICM).
The HIVE aims to answer fundamental questions about the resilience and performance of sustainable materials. It looks at pre-prototype solutions at Technology Readiness Level 2-5, carrying out the fundamental research that will influence industry practice and enable the uptake of innovative products and solutions. The facility is open to researchers across the world and has been designed to be completely flexible.
- A controlled full-scale indoor air quality room where researchers are looking at building panels that absorb and sequester pollutants.
- A double-storey cell that allows investigation of the multi-level aspects of façade efficiency.
- The bladder cell that can be used for testing small panels.
- The flood cell which allows researchers to test the impact of flooding on building materials and systems. With increased flooding across the UK the research taking place at the HIVE can inform some of the major resilience challenges facing the UK construction industry. These include how best to dry out the materials, how much material can be salvaged and crucially how to balance the need to get people back in their homes as quickly as possible without affecting the structural performance of the building.
Projects underway at the HIVE include:
- Investigating photo-catalytic materials to harvest ambient light to generate energy.
- ECOSEE, which aims to enlarge the market for bio-based materials with negative carbon impact.
- The HEMPSEC project for market replication of a pre-fabricated hemp-lime system.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Airtightness of energy efficient buildings.
- Anatomy of low carbon retrofits: evidence from owner-occupied superhomes.
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE National Solar Centre.
- BRE Üserhuus.
- Building Research Establishment BRE.
- Design for deconstruction, BRE modular show house.
- Design for deconstruction, office building.
- Pre-demolition and pre-refurbishment audits.
Featured articles and news
UK-GBC green paper proposes more powers for cities on new-build housing.
The Pompidou Centre – not a monument but an event.
The Chartered Institute of Building restructures and launches 29 new local hubs.
Designing Buildings Wiki talks to the founder of the world's first indoor biophilic gym, now open in London.
£1.3bn Swansea Bay project to be backed as a 'pathfinder' for other tidal lagoon projects.
Designs released for a proposed Las Vegas stadium to entice the Oakland Raiders.
Have a look at these award-winning concept designs for a thermal bath in Latvia.
Flagship project no longer "a going concern" according to the Garden Bridge Trust as funding slows.
How the work of 20th century urbanist Jane Jacobs continues to resonate in light of the government's garden village plans.
New landmark for the Ecuadorean capital of Quito utilises a sinuous facade mold system.
Have a look at this glass piano and violin building in China.