- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 06 Feb 2019
State of the nation: Digital transformation
The key recommendations of the report are as follows:
- Digital transformation should be at the heart of the infrastructure pillar in government industrial strategy.
- The £23bn National Productivity Investment Fund should be targeted at digital transformation of both construction (digital delivery) and infrastructure (smart infrastructure) to increase capacity and performance of existing assets and networks.
- Regulatory frameworks across all infrastructure sectors should incentivise whole life investment decisions based on the needs of the end user.
- ICE and other professional institutions must work with industry and government to ensure that people at all points in their career have the right skills to adapt.
- Clients, contractors and government should use infrastructure projects, big and small, as incubators for skills and innovation.
- Clients should insist that data is identified, collected, stored and shared in the right way by everyone working on a project as part of the procurement process.
- Cyber and physical security considerations must be at the centre of industry thinking in order to keep up with evolving security threats.
- As infrastructure decisions are increasingly made at local level we need to invest in improving the quality of local asset data. This well help improve understanding of the interdependencies between different assets and how that changes with increased connectivity.
- The National Infrastructure Commission should set out a needs-based strategy to align energy and digital infrastructure policy.
This article was originally published here on 22 Mar 2017 by ICE. It was written by Kelly Forbes.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Articles by ICE on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- Cyber security and engineering.
- Data and infrastructure productivity.
- Digital Built Britain.
- Digital communications and infrastructure dependencies.
- Digital technology.
- Digital transformation - engineers need to keep pace.
- How to gain a competitive edge with digital technologies.
- How to make the digital revolution a success.
- Ripe for transformation, ready for change?
- State of the nation: Devolution.
Featured articles and news
Do you understand the different types of stone and which ones you should use where?
Why a wellbeing strategy is vital for property managers.
An ECA briefing for members about the commercial implications of leaving the EU.
A crucial moment on any project - and fraught with danger.
The performance gap from a Northern Ireland perspective.
Book review: Buildings of protestant nonconformity.
Design and testing for health and wellbeing - free download from BRE.
Retention in construction contracts.
Campaign for the reform of cash retentions.
The key points for the construction industry and BSRIA's response.
How to make roads safer: the debate continues.