- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 09 Aug 2018
State of the nation: Digital transformation
Guided by ICE's steering group, they talked to 350 organisations and individuals, asking them to identify the main blockers and enablers to infrastructure’s digital transformation.
The key recommendations of the report are as follows:
Unlock the productivity potential of digital transformation
- Digital transformation should be at the heart of the infrastructure pillar in government industrial strategy.
- The £23bn National Productivity Investment Fund should be targeted at digital transformation of both construction (digital delivery) and infrastructure (smart infrastructure) to increase capacity and performance of existing assets and networks.
- Regulatory frameworks across all infrastructure sectors should incentivise whole life investment decisions based on the needs of the end user.
- ICE and other professional institutions must work with industry and government to ensure that people at all points in their career have the right skills to adapt.
- Clients, contractors and government should use infrastructure projects, big and small, as incubators for skills and innovation.
- Clients should insist that data is identified, collected, stored and shared in the right way by everyone working on a project as part of the procurement process.
- Cyber and physical security considerations must be at the centre of industry thinking in order to keep up with evolving security threats.
- As infrastructure decisions are increasingly made at local level we need to invest in improving the quality of local asset data. This well help improve understanding of the interdependencies between different assets and how that changes with increased connectivity.
- The National Infrastructure Commission should set out a needs-based strategy to align energy and digital infrastructure policy.
This article was originally published here on 22 Mar 2017 by ICE. It was written by Kelly Forbes.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Articles by ICE on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- Cyber security and engineering.
- Data and infrastructure productivity.
- Digital Built Britain.
- Digital communications and infrastructure dependencies.
- Digital transformation - engineers need to keep pace.
- How to gain a competitive edge with digital technologies.
- How to make the digital revolution a success.
- Ripe for transformation, ready for change?
- State of the nation: Devolution.
Featured articles and news
Intricate inlays and beautiful patterns can be created with waterjet cutting.
Two historic quarries in environmentally sensitive areas were reopened to repair Exeter Cathedral.
The phrase ‘time at large’ describes the situation where there is no date for completion, or it has become invalid.
The Maldives is under threat from climate change. Read this report from BRE on their potential involvement in the region.
MHCLG update states there are still 124 private high-rise buildings with unsafe cladding and no remediation plan.
Starting a new built environment degree? We have a wide range of resources aimed at students.
Former railway chief James Blake says trust and control are key to successful infrastructure projects.
Do you know your Rococo from your De Stijl, your Gothic from your Post-modernist?
May outlines a new funding strategy for housing associations and says the 'stigma' of social housing needs to end.
RIBA launches a consultation on a new Plan of Work for Fire Safety.