- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 08 Dec 2014
Self-build home: Prepare production information
In this stage, we attribute design activities to ‘designers’. These may be architects and engineers, a design and build contractor, or a kit house supplier. If a kit house supplier is only supplying the house itself, additional design consultants may be required.
Production information may include:
- Drawings (location drawings, component drawings and dimensioned diagrams).
- Specifications, calculations and design criteria. Specifications provide descriptions of the materials and workmanship required. Design criteria might include; environmental conditions, acoustic requirements, critical dimensions, accessibility requirements, loadings and so on.
- Bills of quantities or schedules of work. Bills of quantities are measured quantities of the work identified on the drawings and specifications that can be used to cost the works. Schedules of work are 'without quantities' instructional specifications often produced on smaller projects, or for items such as builders work or fixing schedules.
- Bespoke cladding systems.
- Service diversions.
- Underground drainage.
- Piling and groundworks.
Many elements of production information will be produced by suppliers or contractors. The designer should check drawings and specifications provided by suppliers and contractors to ensure they are properly co-ordinated.
Increasingly, software is used to prepare elements of production information, such as; computer aided design (CAD) to prepare drawings, and proprietary systems for the preparation of specifications. The recent emergence of building information modelling (BIM) can allow the automatic generation of production information from a single co-ordinated model, which should result in a reduction in errors and so costs.
NB During this stage, the lead designer should also co-ordinate any outstanding information needed for remaining building regulations or other statutory approvals which must be submitted before works start on site. It is also important to ensure that any necessary party wall notices have been served.
► Next stage:
- Appoint a contractor to construct the home, or;
- Appoint a range of contractors and suppliers to construct the home, or;
- Confirm appointment of the design and build contractor to construct the home, or;
- Confirm appointment of the supplier to fabricate and install the kit house.
Featured articles and news
Opening up the space below the former Floral Hall.
Why was the Fountaine Hospital Almshouse built in such a sophisticated style?
How do we measure air tightness in buildings?
The Housing Infrastructure Fund
Encouraging access to local amenities and sustainable transport.
Publish your thought leadership articles on Designing Buildings Wiki – for free.
Competence Steering Group publishes interim proposals to deliver safer buildings.
Indoor environments should provide a multi-sensory experience.
We have a great range of introductory articles written by ECA.
7 of the most common myths, busted.