- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 19 Oct 2018
RIBA plan of work v project plans v OGC gateways
This article is an attempt to map the project stages set out in the RIBA Plan of Work (2007) v the RIBA Plan of Work (2013) v the Designing Buildings Wiki Project Plans v the OGC gateway review process.
The OGC gateway review process is quite different from the other three as it involves tendering for an integrated supply team to design and construct the works once the brief has been prepared (the output-based specification) before concept design commences.
NB the BIM Task Group Digital Plan of Work and the Government Soft Landings process map is based on an alternate set of stages:
- 0 Strategy
- 1 Brief
- 2 Concept
- 3 Definition
- 4 Design
- 5 Build and commission
- 6 Handover and close-out
- 7 Operation and end-of-life
The Construction Industry Council (CIC) scope of services adopts:
- Stage 1 (Preparation)
- Stage 2 (Concept)
- Stage 3 (Design Development)
- Stage 4 (Production Information)
- Stage 5 (Manufacture, Installation & Construction Information)
- Stage 6 (Post Practical Completion)
Given the complexity of this situation and the potential for misunderstanding the nature of what is meant by different project stages it is important that appointment documents and contracts set out precisely what is required, and at what level of detail for different stages of a project rather than relying on reference to ambiguous names or process maps.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Stage 1: Business justification.
- Stage 2: Feasibility studies.
- Stage 3: Project brief.
- Stage 4: Concept design.
- Stage 5: Detailed design.
- Stage 6: Production information.
- Stage 7: Tender.
- Stage 8: Mobilisation.
- Stage 9: Construction.
- Stage 10: Occupation and defects liability period.
- Stage 11: Post occupancy evaluation.
- BREEAM and RIBA stages.
- Comparison of BIM work stages.
- Designing Buildings Wiki project plans.
- Governance for Railway Investment Projects (GRIP).
- OGC gateway review process.
- Project lifecycle for major road projects.
- RIBA plan of work.
Featured articles and news
Blighting local areas, preventing investment and and encouraging anti-social behaviour.
Sharing knowledge about the conservation of the built and historic environment.
CIOB launches a call to improve quality in the built environment.
Vastint gets permission for a 6.6 hectare site to support the expansion of Leeds’ city core.
One of the Isle of Man’s best 1960s buildings.
Using renewable energy in developing countries - QSAND and Loughborough University Research collaboration.
From frost damage to sulphate attack, common causes of defects in brickwork.
Precautions to take when making advance payments.
Helping communities recover from disasters and protecting them before they occur.
Instrumentation for critical healthcare environments.
Case study in the use of soft landings at the University of the West of England.