- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 20 Mar 2019
RIBA plan of work v project plans v OGC gateways
This article is an attempt to map the project stages set out in the RIBA Plan of Work (2007) v the RIBA Plan of Work (2013) v the Designing Buildings Wiki Project Plans v the OGC gateway review process.
The OGC gateway review process is quite different from the other three as it involves tendering for an integrated supply team to design and construct the works once the brief has been prepared (the output-based specification) before concept design commences.
NB the BIM Task Group Digital Plan of Work and the Government Soft Landings process map is based on an alternate set of stages:
- 0 Strategy
- 1 Brief
- 2 Concept
- 3 Definition
- 4 Design
- 5 Build and commission
- 6 Handover and close-out
- 7 Operation and end-of-life
The Construction Industry Council (CIC) scope of services adopts:
- Stage 1 (Preparation)
- Stage 2 (Concept)
- Stage 3 (Design Development)
- Stage 4 (Production Information)
- Stage 5 (Manufacture, Installation & Construction Information)
- Stage 6 (Post Practical Completion)
Given the complexity of this situation and the potential for misunderstanding the nature of what is meant by different project stages it is important that appointment documents and contracts set out precisely what is required, and at what level of detail for different stages of a project rather than relying on reference to ambiguous names or process maps.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Stage 1: Business justification.
- Stage 2: Feasibility studies.
- Stage 3: Project brief.
- Stage 4: Concept design.
- Stage 5: Detailed design.
- Stage 6: Production information.
- Stage 7: Tender.
- Stage 8: Mobilisation.
- Stage 9: Construction.
- Stage 10: Occupation and defects liability period.
- Stage 11: Post occupancy evaluation.
- BREEAM and RIBA stages.
- Comparison of BIM work stages.
- Copronet digital hub is designed to improve the construction industry.
- Designing Buildings Wiki project plans.
- Governance for Railway Investment Projects (GRIP).
- OGC gateway review process.
- Project lifecycle for major road projects.
- RIBA plan of work.
Featured articles and news
BSRIA report suggest the European market will double to 415 million Euros by 2023.
Do you understand the different types of stone and which ones you should use where?
Why a wellbeing strategy is vital for property managers.
An ECA briefing for members about the commercial implications of leaving the EU.
A crucial moment on any project - and fraught with danger.
The performance gap from a Northern Ireland perspective.
Book review: Buildings of protestant nonconformity.
Design and testing for health and wellbeing - free download from BRE.
Retention in construction contracts.
Campaign for the reform of cash retentions.
The key points for the construction industry and BSRIA's response.