- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 04 Feb 2015
Considered seminal at the time, Patterns had a significant influence on engineering for several decades. Patterns is reproduced here with the kind permission of Buro Happold because of its historical interest and the impact it has had on the development of engineering theory.
Patterns 10 was published in December 1991.
The contents of Patterns 10 are:
- Christmas decorations for Imagination Ltd, London. By Glyn Trippick.
- The lifting of the Calshot at Ocean Village, Southampton. By Vincent Grant & Paul Ruffles.
- Banners launch BP shares. By Mike Cook and Ian Liddell.
- Community building on Iona. By Rod Macdonald.
- TRAIL computer simulation. By Clive Morrison and John Froud.
- Rediscovering the city walls and gates of Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. By Vincent Grant and Padraic Kelly.
- The Commerzbank, Frankfurt - a proposal for a green headquarters tower building. By Rudiger Lutz, Tony Mclaughlin, Michael Dickson & Ted Happold.
- Landslips at Cannons Country Club, Bath. By Isobel Lloyd.
- Bus shelters given 'street cred'. By Morteza Mohammadi.
- The Hyperion Airship at EuroDisneyland, Paris. By Ian Liddell, Simon Wright & Ken Carmichael.
- The Heart Tent - an artform in glass. By Eddie Pugh.
- Journey to the South Pole. By Ian Liddell.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Patterns 1: October 1987.
- Patterns 2: April 1988.
- Patterns 3: August 1988.
- Patterns 4: November 1988.
- Patterns 5: May 1989.
- Patterns 6: July 1990.
- Patterns 7: December 1990.
- Patterns 8: May 1991.
- Patterns 9: October 1991.
- Patterns 11: August 1993.
- Patterns 12: July 1997.
- Patterns 13: March 2001.
- Patterns 14: March 2005.
- Patterns: Ground Source Energy. 2008.
- Patterns: Specialist Consulting, 2007.
- Patterns 15: Autumn / Winter 2010.
- Patterns 16: Autumn / Winter 2011.
Featured articles and news
Our servers have reached another milestone. Why not write an article and be seen by our 6.5 million users.
RSHP celebrates competition win in Paris.
All about approved inspectors.
Whilst apparently confusing, German conservation is actually not that different.
The rise and fall of council housing. Book review.
Drivers of change in global heating markets.
11 interesting facts about the use and nature of the material.
Will politicians ultimately fail to tackle Britain's structural challenges?
How self-certification can save time and money.
CIBSE updates Fire Safety Engineering guidance.
EA finds England's water companies are simply unacceptable.