- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 04 Feb 2015
Considered seminal at the time, Patterns had a significant influence on engineering for several decades. Patterns is reproduced here with the kind permission of Buro Happold because of its historical interest and the impact it has had on the development of engineering theory.
Patterns 10 was published in December 1991.
The contents of Patterns 10 are:
- Christmas decorations for Imagination Ltd, London. By Glyn Trippick.
- The lifting of the Calshot at Ocean Village, Southampton. By Vincent Grant & Paul Ruffles.
- Banners launch BP shares. By Mike Cook and Ian Liddell.
- Community building on Iona. By Rod Macdonald.
- TRAIL computer simulation. By Clive Morrison and John Froud.
- Rediscovering the city walls and gates of Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. By Vincent Grant and Padraic Kelly.
- The Commerzbank, Frankfurt - a proposal for a green headquarters tower building. By Rudiger Lutz, Tony Mclaughlin, Michael Dickson & Ted Happold.
- Landslips at Cannons Country Club, Bath. By Isobel Lloyd.
- Bus shelters given 'street cred'. By Morteza Mohammadi.
- The Hyperion Airship at EuroDisneyland, Paris. By Ian Liddell, Simon Wright & Ken Carmichael.
- The Heart Tent - an artform in glass. By Eddie Pugh.
- Journey to the South Pole. By Ian Liddell.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Patterns 1: October 1987.
- Patterns 2: April 1988.
- Patterns 3: August 1988.
- Patterns 4: November 1988.
- Patterns 5: May 1989.
- Patterns 6: July 1990.
- Patterns 7: December 1990.
- Patterns 8: May 1991.
- Patterns 9: October 1991.
- Patterns 11: August 1993.
- Patterns 12: July 1997.
- Patterns 13: March 2001.
- Patterns 14: March 2005.
- Patterns: Ground Source Energy. 2008.
- Patterns: Specialist Consulting, 2007.
- Patterns 15: Autumn / Winter 2010.
- Patterns 16: Autumn / Winter 2011.
Featured articles and news
When is there a right to light, and what happens if it is obstructed?
What would the nationalisation of economic infrastructure mean for GB?
A new guide to improving value by reducing design error.
We've reached 80,000 page views a day and 10,000 registered users. Why not join them?
A masterplan is a framework within which a location is encouraged to develop or change. Read our introductory article.
New consultation announced on a specialist Housing Court to settle landlord-tenant disputes.
ICE responds to a transport consultation advising the government to make decisions enabling more inclusive cities.
BRE and Loughborough University complete first phase refurbishment of demonstration home.
How the risk of collapse of fibrous plaster ceilings is being addressed in theatres.
If you’re a great writer and have practical experience of the construction industry, it could be you.
Frustrated by long documents or technical jargon? Put off by sign-up forms or costs? Take this 5 min survey to help improve construction knowledge.