Lifting devices allow the vertical movement of people, and / or goods. There are a wide range of lifting devices, suited to different situations, uses, vertical distances and loads.
Types of lifting devices (including links to articles on Designing Buildings Wiki) inlcude:
- Cherry picker.
- Forklift truck.
- Lift table.
- Lifting platform.
- Lifting sling.
- Pallet truck.
- Post lift.
- Scissor lift.
- Suction lifter.
- Wheelchair platform.
- Working platform.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Access and inclusion in the built environment: policy and guidance.
- Access consultant.
- Approved document M.
- Changing lifestyles.
- Considerations When Installing a Residential Lift.
- Fire and rescue service.
- Firefighting lift.
- Inclusive design.
- Lifts and Their Special Operating Modes.
- Lifts for office buildings.
- Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations (LOLER).
- Manual handling.
- Mobile elevating work platforms (MEWPs).
- Non-discriminatory building design.
- Smart elevators.
- Working platforms for tracked plant: good practice guide to the design, installation, maintenance and repair of ground-supported working platforms.
Featured articles and news
Experts from University of Exeter reveal innovative glass blocks which could enable buildings to create their own electricity.
BRE form partnership with software supplier Graitec to drive uptake of BIM.
Ever fancied exploring a unique Stalinist housing project in a Trabant car? This tour could be for you.
Recent legal case ends with a decision of great importance regarding student accommodation.
We could be on the brink of a demand revolution. But will the opportunities be seized?
Public sector can save £35 million on estates through new CCS framework.
BSRIA promote the government's new strategy to help strengthen the global competitiveness of British industry.
Have a read of our introductory guide to briefing documents for building design.
Have a look at Riga's most striking new building, the National Library of Latvia.
It's an exciting time for NEC users, but it can only succeed with openness and inclusivity between clients and contractors.
New designs revealed for Qatar World Cup 2022 stadium, based on traditional Arab headwear.
The results of the sixth large-scale cladding tests have been published - another failure.