- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 20 Jun 2017
Innovation in engineering and construction, a sleeping sector awakens in Davos
Disruptive innovation in the engineering and construction industry? Sounds like an oxymoron to those who are associating the sector with the dull and dirty. But the industry is currently heading towards a digital transformation, and innovation is prominently on the agenda.
The cases include Flagship projects, such as:
- Burj Khalifa, the world’s tallest building.
- The Edge, the world’s most sustainable office building.
- The New Karolinska Hospital in Stockholm, the largest ever hospital PPP project.
The cases also include disruptive startups and pilot projects, such as:
- Chinese construction company Broad Sustainable Building, which made international headlines by constructing a 57-storey skyscraper in only 19 days.
- MX3D, which uses robots to 3D-print a steel bridge in Amsterdam.
- Aditazz, based in Silicon Valley, which uses design-automation principles from the semi-conductor industry to revolutionize the design of health-care facilities.
- Winsun, which has pioneered at-scale 3D-printing of houses.
- Uptake, a predictive analytics startup which was Forbes’ hottest startup in 2015.
In Davos, several dozen CEOs and ministers reviewed the potential of these innovations in a private session. A preliminary (soft-launch) report Shaping the Future of Construction – Lessons from leading innovators and disruptors describes seven of ten lighthouse innovation cases in detail and summarises the key success factors for implementing innovation in the construction ecosystem.
Interested? Take a look at the knowledge-sharing platform, containing these and more case studies, blog posts and mini-essays written by industry leaders as well as fresh ideas for the sector’s future developed by students and young professionals.
--Future of Construction 14:32, 20 Jun 2017 (BST)
Featured articles and news
BRE partner with Global GreenTag to develop an Ethical Labour Sourcing Standard for Australia.
The Chartered Quality Institute explain the pathway to success for organisations implementing management systems.
An introductory article looking at where a duty of care can arise in the construction industry.
House of Lords committee encourages the use of off-site manufacturing in new report.
Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) can go some way to show the impact of new buildings on their surroundings.
The shortlist for the 2018 prize for the UK's best new building is revealed.
Amendment to Bill aims to provide councils with greater powers to increase tax premiums on empty homes.
As the latest summer blockbuster 'Skyscraper' is released, we look at some of the best uses of buildings in film.
Read our introductory article on how to layout a building.
New cross-party report calls for combustible cladding ban to be extended to all high-rise residential buildings.