- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 12 Nov 2015
Cloud computing and BIM for the construction industry
To help develop this article, click 'Edit this article'.
Cloud computing is a new entrant in the architecture, engineering and construction industry which allows building professionals to operate application software with the support of internet enabled devices such as mobile phones, iPads and so on.
That means with the assistance of cloud computing, architects and engineers can collaborate on a Building Information Modeling project which is being executed in the office of an architectural and engineering company even when they are at different locations.
- The ability to check designs from anywhere in the world.
- Accessing Building Information Models on mobile devices and collaborating with the team of modelers working on them.
- Suggestions can be provided by architects and engineers to the team executing the project.
- Architects and engineers can easily excess construction documents on site.
- Building professionals can mark-up drawings and plans.
- Projects complications and their status can be easily communicated to Building Information Modelers by architects and engineers.
- Having access to the latest project documents from anywhere in the world.
- The combination of Building Information Modeling and cloud computing can enhance the productivity of the project team.
Cloud computing services are categorised as public, private and hybrid.
Featured articles and news
Starting a new built environment degree? We have a wide range of resources aimed at students.
Former railway chief James Blake says trust and control are key to successful infrastructure projects.
Do you know your Rococo from your De Stijl, your Gothic from your Post-modernist?
May outlines a new funding strategy for housing associations and says the 'stigma' of social housing needs to end.
RIBA launches a consultation on a new Plan of Work for Fire Safety.
This article offers some basic rules to follow when writing your next specification.
The iconic Mackintosh Building will definitely be rebuilt, board chairwoman confirms.
The machinery used to fashion stone has changed dramatically - and so have the products.
This type of pile provides support to the building, as well as acting as a heat source and a heat sink.
Why investors are adopting the SDGs and why civil engineering could be crucial for delivering them.
Read about all the winners from the London ceremony of CIAT's 2018 Architectural Technology Awards.