- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 30 Mar 2017
BSRIA calls for clarity following Brexit Article 50 High Court ruling
Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty sets out the process when an EU Member State decides to withdraw and notifies the European Council of its intention. The Union then reaches an agreement with that State, negotiating the arrangements for its withdrawal. The EU has said that negotiations about the terms of the UK’s exit cannot begin until Article 50 has been invoked.
However, on 3 November, uncertainty was cast on the timetable for Brexit after the government lost a High Court case challenging its right to trigger Article 50 without a vote in Parliament. The High Court ruled that Parliament alone has the power to activate Brexit.
Julia Evans, Chief Executive of BSRIA, said: “Back on Thursday 23rd June, the country voted and the decision was ‘out’. Today’s High Court ruling now adds a high level of uncertainty and ambiguity into the Brexit proceedings. What industry needs is clear leadership to bring economic confidence and stability forthwith as a plan of action.
“Much economic indecision had already been evident in the build up to the referendum which was detrimental to our industry. We do not need more.”
The government has said it will appeal at the Supreme Court and is still committed to generating Article 50 by March 2017.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Building Services Research and Information Association BSRIA.
- BSRIA articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- Architects' Brexit statement.
- Brexit - the case for infrastructure.
- Brexit Topic Guide.
- BSRIA Brexit white paper.
- BSRIA response to Brexit speech.
- BSRIA response to Brexit white paper.
- HVAC and smart energy post-Brexit.
- Overcoming the challenges of Brexit.
- Post brexit, house building and construction remains a safe sustainable industry.
- Post-Brexit vision for construction.
- Triggering article 50 of the Treaty of Lisbon.
- What does Brexit mean for construction?
Featured articles and news
A new guide to fire safety and security in the selection of doorsets.
Review of the long-awaited discourse on these beautifully produced, colourful wallpapers.
From alabaster to travertine – how many types do you know?
Well-designed lighting helps maintain a healthy physiological and psychological balance.
Transferring the risk for obtaining the target BREEAM rating.
A simple but effective way to determine the root cause of an issue.
BSRIA report suggest the European market will double to 415 million Euros by 2023.
Why a wellbeing strategy is vital for property managers.
An ECA briefing for members about the commercial implications of leaving the EU.
A crucial moment on any project - and fraught with danger.
The performance gap from a Northern Ireland perspective.