BRE Expert Collection 6 Daylight and shading
BRE is an independent, research-based consultancy, testing and training organisation, operating in the built environment and associated industries. The BRE Trust uses the profits made by BRE to fund new research and education programmes that advance knowledge, innovation and communication for public benefit.
BRE Expert Collections are topic-specific compilations of BRE digests, good building guides, good repair guides and information. BRE Expert Collection 6 Daylight and shading is a collection of BRE expert guidance on designing for daylight and sunlight, and shading of buildings.
- IP 15/88. Average daylight factor: a simple basis for daylight design.
- IP 12/02. Control of solar shading (now replaced by Control of solar shading IP 4 17).
- IP 3/98. Daylight in atrium buildings.
- IP 10/95. Daylighting design for display screen equipment.
- IP 9/00. Developments in innovative daylighting.
- DG 309. Estimating daylight in buildings: Part 1.
- DG 310. Estimating daylight in buildings: Part 2.
- IP 23/93. Measuring daylight.
- IP 11/02. Retrofitting solar shading (now replaced by Retrofitting solar shading IP 3 17)
- IP 23/12. Site layout planning for daylight.
- IP 22/12. Site layout planning for sunlight and solar gain.
- IP 3/87. Solar dazzle reflected from sloping glazed facades.
- IP 5/01. Solar energy in urban areas
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE Trust.
- Building Research Establishment BRE.
- Control of solar shading IP 4 17.
- Daylight benefits in healthcare buildings.
- Daylight lighting systems.
- Daylit space.
- Lighting and health infographic.
- Retrofitting solar shading.
- The daylight factor.
- The essential guide to retail lighting.
Issue support documents
This particular index is based around the structure of the New Construction and RFO schemes. Issue support documents are written for named BREEAM Issues or sub-issues. They are not scheme specific so they aim to be applicable to that issue in any scheme but individual scheme nuances may be expressed within each article. More info.
All these articles are dynamic and so welcome additions and improvements to all especially those marked (ac) = awaiting content.
- BREEAM Stakeholder consultation (ac)
- BREEAM Sustainability champion
- BREEAM Life cycle cost and service life planning (ac)
- BREEAM Environmental management
- BREEAM Considerate construction
- BREEAM Monitoring of construction site impacts
- BREEAM Commissioning (ac)
- BREEAM Handover (ac)
- BREEAM Inclusive and accessible design (ac)
- BREEAM Aftercare support
- BREEAM Seasonal commissioning
- BREEAM Post occupancy evaluation (ac)
 Health and Wellbeing
- BREEAM Visual comfort Daylighting (partly ac)
- BREEAM Visual comfort View out
- BREEAM Visual comfort Glare control
- BREEAM Internal and external lighting (ac)
- BREEAM Indoor air quality plan
- BREEAM Indoor air quality Ventilation
- BREEAM Indoor pollutants VOCs (ac)
- BREEAM Potential for natural ventilation (ac)
- BREEAM Safe containment in laboratories (ac)
- BREEAM Thermal comfort
- BREEAM Acoustic performance (ac)
- BREEAM Safety and security (ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of energy use and carbon emissions
- BREEAM Energy monitoring
- BREEAM External lighting (ac)
- BREEAM Low carbon design
- BREEAM Passive design
- BREEAM Free cooling
- BREEAM LZC technologies
- BREEAM Energy efficient cold storage (partly ac)
- BREEAM Energy efficient transportation systems (ac)
- BREEAM Energy efficient laboratory systems
- BREEAM Energy efficient equipment (partly ac)
- BREEAM Drying space
- BREEAM Public transport accessibility
- BREEAM Proximity to amenities (ac)
- BREEAM Cyclist facilities
- BREEAM Alternative modes of transport (ac)
- BREEAM Maximum car parking capacity
- BREEAM Travel plan
- BREEAM Home office (ac)
- BREEAM Water consumption
- BREEAM Water monitoring (ac)
- BREEAM Water leak detection (ac)
- BREEAM Water efficient equipment
- BREEAM Life cycle impacts (ac)
- BREEAM Hard landscaping and boundary protection
- BREEAM Responsible sourcing of materials
- BREEAM Insulation
- BREEAM Designing for durability and resilience
- BREEAM Material efficiency (ac)
- BREEAM Construction waste management
- BREEAM Recycled aggregates
- BREEAM Operational waste (ac)
- BREEAM Speculative floor & ceiling finishes
- BREEAM Adaptation to climate change
- BREEAM Functional adaptability (ac)
 Land Use and Ecology
- BREEAM Site Selection
- BREEAM Ecological value of site
- BREEAM Protection of ecological features
- BREEAM Minimising impact on existing site ecology
- BREEAM Enhancing site ecology
- BREEAM Long term impact on biodiversity (ac)
- BREEAM Impact of refrigerants
- BREEAM NOx emissions
- BREEAM Flood risk management (ac)
- BREEAM Surface water run-off (ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of night time light pollution (partly ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of noise pollution
Once an ISD has been initially created the '(ac)' marker can be removed