- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 18 Dec 2017
BREEAM and retail
Delivering Sustainable Buildings: Value of BREEAM to Retail in the UK was published at MIPIM, and shows how retailers and developers can use BREEAM to help attract customers, increase operational effectiveness and manage costs and income.
The report was prepared by researchers at BREEAM and Currie & Brown, the leading international asset management and cost consultancy. It draws upon on examples of the approaches and benefits seen by some of the UK’s largest and most experienced developers and retailers, and includes guidance for those aiming to get the most out of their investment in sustainable retail buildings, whatever their size or role in the sector.
Examples quoted in the report include:
- Use of BREEAM by The Crown Estate, which set an aspiration to achieve BREEAM Excellent for major new retail developments. Their use of consistent methods, helping to set the organisation’s priorities and standards, helps to efficiently deliver their policy goals and maximises the potential to transfer lessons learnt across the industry.
- Investment in two BREEAM Excellent ‘Sustainable Learning Stores’ by Marks and Spencer, who monitored and evaluated the benefits of their sustainable features, importantly including an assessment of customer and staff perceptions.
Gavin Dunn, Director at BRE, said:
“BREEAM certification, the assessment process and, importantly, meeting the performance standards stipulated under the various assessment areas can help retailers and developers to improve the performance of their buildings.
"In 2013, energy use and associated carbon cost the sector £3.3 billion. Adopting BREEAM performance standards brings valuable operational efficiencies associated with using a consistent industry standard method. It also acts as a spur to innovation and a tool to assist communications within project teams and other stakeholders.”
Adam Mactavish, Operations Director at Currie & Brown, said:
“This study illustrates the importance of the retail industry to life in the UK. It powerfully demonstrates the many ways that high sustainability standards help the sector get the most from its property, its largest operating cost after employment".
Copies of these value reports are available as a free download on the BREEAM website.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BRE Buzz articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BREEAM and CEEQUAL.
- BREEAM puts the emphasis on green retail.
- BREEAM Retail prize 2016.
- BREEAM: Value multiplies while costs plummet.
- Cheshire Oaks: Marks and Spencer.
- Delivering Sustainable Buildings: Savings and Payback - Office Case Study for BREEAM UK New Construction 2014.
- Do green buildings pay?
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design.
- MIPIM 2017.
Featured articles and news
The quality of Cambridge owes as much to its open spaces as to its architectural uniqueness.
If events occur that cause the completion of the works to be delayed then these may be compensation events.
BSRIA's new Building MOTs Scheme is designed to provide guidance on the next steps after compliance.
At an ICE discussion, the focus was on delivering a Northern Infrastructure Strategy based on opportunity for all.
The Considerate Constructors Scheme officially launch the new Ultra Site status for contractors and supply chains.
The risk of specification errors in the cladding sector is "worryingly high" after Grenfell, according to major distributor.
Here is our outline work plan for a private sector design and build project.
BRE are to publish new guidance aimed at assuring buyers as to the merits of off-site construction methods.
Who are the various different stakeholders in development projects? Find out in our introductory article.
How a BRE office became the centre-piece for major biophilic design research.