- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 08 Mar 2018
BREEAM Awards 2018
The winners of the BREEAM Awards 2018, for building projects and professionals with extraordinary achievements in sustainability, were revealed at a gala event on 7th March 2018 at London’s ExCel.
Attended by hundreds of built environment practitioners from around the world, the awards were hosted by actor and TV personality Robert Llewellyn, and a keen advocate of sustainability and renewable energy technologies.
The winners include many of the most innovatively sustainable buildings in the UK, and in countries across the globe from China to Brazil. The awards, held this year in partnership with Ecobuild, also recognise high achievement by architects, M&E consultants and BREEAM assessors – and BREEAM again partnered with GRESB to recognise socially responsible investment. New this year are the Regional Awards for building projects that will of inspire sustainability advances in their particular areas of the world.
Selected by an independent panel of experts from shortlists of the year’s highest scoring BREEAM certificated projects, the winning buildings represent superb design and performance in new and existing buildings, refurbishments and fit-outs. They were:
- Bloomberg London – Commercial Project – Design
- Four Pancras Square, London – Commercial Project – Post-Construction
- Forum Kayseri, Turkey – Commercial Project – In-Use
- Tiger Way Primary School and Nursery, London – Public Project – Design
- GSK Centre for Sustainable Chemistry, Nottingham – Public Project – Post-Construction
- Grønland 58, Drammen, Norway – Public Project – In-Use
- HAUT, Amsterdam – Homes – Design
- 126 Pavilion Road, London – Homes – Post-Construction
- Metropolis Mansion, China – Regional Award – Asia
- SEBRAE Sustainability Centre, Brazil – Regional Award – Americas
- V.Offices, Krakow, AFI Europe, Poland – Regional Award – Central and Eastern Europe
- Bloomberg London and DC2, Prologis Park, Dunstable, UK – Joint winner, Regional Award – Western Europe
The outstanding achievements of the shortlisted projects gave the panel of judges a difficult task when choosing the winners.
Alan Yates, BREEAM Technical Director and Chair of the Judging Panel, said:
“Even more important than the qualities of the shortlisted and winning projects, are the examples they set for others. By demonstrating the practicalities and benefits of sustainable solutions – particularly those that are widely replicable – these projects will inspire others to aim higher with their own developments, so driving improvement throughout their sectors and regions, and internationally.”
- Altarea Cogedim – Large Portfolio (more than 1 billion Euro gross asset value)
- SPF Joint Venture – Rockspring – Small Portfolio (less than 1 billion Euro gross asset value)
- Lizzy Butink, A.S.R. Real Estate – Individual Leadership
The winners of the BREEAM Assessor Company and the three Assessor of the Year Awards were:
- Bouygues UK – Assessor Company of the Year
- Glynn Van Nieuwenhuyse, Bopro; Zuzana Spicova, Sweco UK, Danielle Symmons, AECOM – Assessors of the Year
- SEBRAE Sustainability Centre, Brazil
This article was originally published here on 8 March 2018 by BRE.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
The Isle of Man’s naturally-occurring materials and distinctive building techniques.
BRE partner with Global GreenTag to develop an Ethical Labour Sourcing Standard for Australia.
The Chartered Quality Institute explain the pathway to success for organisations implementing management systems.
An introductory article looking at where a duty of care can arise in the construction industry.
House of Lords committee encourages the use of off-site manufacturing in new report.
Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) can go some way to show the impact of new buildings on their surroundings.
The shortlist for the 2018 prize for the UK's best new building is revealed.
Amendment to Bill aims to provide councils with greater powers to increase tax premiums on empty homes.
As the latest summer blockbuster 'Skyscraper' is released, we look at some of the best uses of buildings in film.
Read our introductory article on how to layout a building.