ARCHIVE Development Securities Ideas competition shortlist
How do we keep investors interested in UK property?
Julian Barwick, Director of Development Securities said, “We need to harness the creative thinking of practitioners if the UK is to succeed in the global market. This competition is about harvesting good ideas and a bit of crystal ball gazing. We are looking for free and lateral thought, particularly from those with a fresh view.”
A shortlist of five has now been agreed:
- David Hayes, a first year student at the University of Bath studying civil engineering, proposes the creation of a construction efficiency investment fund.
- AnnaR, a UK student, proposes better information for investors and the adoption of standard metrics for properties.
- Bellytanker, an ex-architectural practitioner and academic, suggests there should be better definition of what the UK is, what its values are and what the vision is for the future.
- Staceyma, a surveyor, proposes the creation of property managed funds.
- Emily Smith, a 2nd year geography and planning student at the University of Sheffield proposes allowing easier change of use between property use class types.
Other great ideas which just missed the shortlist include:
- Providing better information about the procedures for investing in UK property, translated into different languages.
- Crowd funding property development.
- Regional variation in taxation to encourage investment beyond London.
- Community urban regeneration schemes to improve the local environment.
- Michelin-style rating systems for buildings.
- Longer-term thinking and continued phased growth of successful developments.
- Establishing major UK property events to focus and direct overseas interest.
- Developing properties with more character.
- Developing shorter-life, lower-cost buildings.
- Encouraging Chinese development of affordable housing.
- And finally …. investing in Kingston upon Hull.
The overall winner will be announced by the end of January. They will receive £500 and will be invited to Development Securities’ offices to see how they keep their investors interested in property.
Featured articles and news
Read about Belgrade's Brutalist landmark - the Western City Gate.
Read about the measures that can be taken by individuals to protect and minimise exposure to outdoor sourced air pollution.
Government announces leaseholds on new-build houses will be banned.
Transport Secretary announces public consultation into London's funding of Crossrail 2.
Have a look at some of the most impressive concert stage designs of all time, including Pink Floyd, U2, Rolling Stones, and more...
What is the Home Quality Mark? Find out how it can help you when buying/renting a new home.
Business Secretary launches £246m Faraday Challenge to establish UK as world leader in battery technology.
Government announces new plans for regulations to improve safety and security awareness of drone users.
Read our introductory article to the various different types of fuel.
IHBC book review: Charles Barry’s monumental struggle to rebuild the Houses of Parliament.
Read about RSHP's British Museum extension which has been shortlisted for the 2017 Stirling Prize.
Read our introductory article to building a house extension.
More updates from DCMS about the large-scale testing of cladding systems and the number of buildings affected.
UandI secure resolution to grant planning consent for major new regeneration project.