ARCHIVE Development Securities Ideas competition shortlist
How do we keep investors interested in UK property?
Julian Barwick, Director of Development Securities said, “We need to harness the creative thinking of practitioners if the UK is to succeed in the global market. This competition is about harvesting good ideas and a bit of crystal ball gazing. We are looking for free and lateral thought, particularly from those with a fresh view.”
A shortlist of five has now been agreed:
- David Hayes, a first year student at the University of Bath studying civil engineering, proposes the creation of a construction efficiency investment fund.
- AnnaR, a UK student, proposes better information for investors and the adoption of standard metrics for properties.
- Bellytanker, an ex-architectural practitioner and academic, suggests there should be better definition of what the UK is, what its values are and what the vision is for the future.
- Staceyma, a surveyor, proposes the creation of property managed funds.
- Emily Smith, a 2nd year geography and planning student at the University of Sheffield proposes allowing easier change of use between property use class types.
Other great ideas which just missed the shortlist include:
- Providing better information about the procedures for investing in UK property, translated into different languages.
- Crowd funding property development.
- Regional variation in taxation to encourage investment beyond London.
- Community urban regeneration schemes to improve the local environment.
- Michelin-style rating systems for buildings.
- Longer-term thinking and continued phased growth of successful developments.
- Establishing major UK property events to focus and direct overseas interest.
- Developing properties with more character.
- Developing shorter-life, lower-cost buildings.
- Encouraging Chinese development of affordable housing.
- And finally …. investing in Kingston upon Hull.
The overall winner will be announced by the end of January. They will receive £500 and will be invited to Development Securities’ offices to see how they keep their investors interested in property.
Featured articles and news
Eleven Magazine announce the winner and runners-up in their Moontopia competition.
As January is the time for hitting the gym, Designing Buildings Wiki lists the best gym architecture in the world.
London is at the top of the list of global construction megacities, beating Dubai and Abu Dhabi.
What are the innovative business models of the future, and how to incentivise supply chains to work on a whole life basis?
One of the largest churches in the world, the monumental St. Peter's Basilica.
How thermal comfort is quantified and how it can affect wellbeing.
Snøhetta complete a treehouse cabin that allows guests to lie beneath the Northern Lights.
Christiania is an anarchist 'freetown' in Copenhagen where strange and experimental architecture has flourished.
“UK waste data needs improving” say BRE specialists, in this summary of their report into construction waste.
UandI announce new joint venture with US developer to work on office refurbishment projects.
Why buildings crack, how cracks are categorised and what can be done.