About Institute of Historic Building Conservation
The mark of the conservation professional
The IHBC is the professional body for building conservation practitioners and historic environment experts working in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales, with connections to the Republic of Ireland.
The Institute exists to establish, develop and maintain the highest standards of conservation practice, to support the effective protection and enhancement of the historic environment, and to promote heritage-led regeneration and access to the historic environment for all.
IHBC’s values include:
- Managing change: Helping historic places thrive by accommodating change and adapting for the future while providing continuity with the past.
- Heritage-led regeneration: Assisting tourism and promoting local economic diversity through developing the historic environment.
- Sustainable development: Preserving resources and minimising carbon emissions associated with demolition and redevelopment.
- Design: Appreciating that historic places are the inspiration for the great architecture of the future.
- Valuing heritage: Caring for historic buildings and places that have their own intrinsic cultural, social, educational and spiritual value.
For more details, see The Institute of Historic Building Conservation.
Featured articles and news
The origins, evolution and future of Level 3 BIM.
For new and returning Urban Design students, check out our article list divided up into the modules you'll be studying.
Report states that health of urban dwellers could be significantly improved by rethinking transport design.
The Kremlin, the centre of Russian power, includes some of the country's finest architecture.
Report launched outlining steps for a national infrastructure system that is efficient, sustainable, and delivers until 2050.
A review of Justin Bere's concise and well-presented introductory guide to Passive House.
This article describes in detail the tender process for a typical commercial construction contract.
What is energy storage, what are the different types and what is its future?
MAD Architects reveal their designs for a state-of-the-art concert hall in Beijing.
Take a look at BIG's designs for two twisting towers in New York City.
'The filing cabinet' which was labelled one of the best British buildings of the 21st century.