The Movement, Greenwich
In October 2015, U+I Group completed The Movement, a vibrant, highly-sustainable and truly mixed-use scheme located on the former Greenwich Industrial Estate in East London. The 2.2 acre site is in a prime position adjacent to Greenwich DLR and Mainline Station.
Developed with award-winning architects HLM and Studio Egret West, and in close consultation with Greenwich Council, The Movement comprises:
- 181 residential apartments.
- 358 student apartments.
- A health and fitness club.
- A Convenience food store.
- A Nursery.
- 7,000 sq ft of business incubator and start-up units
This accommodation is located along a new public, pedestrian-friendly street connecting the DLR with Norman Road.
U+I signed a joint venture agreement with Willmott Dixon, who delivered the 181 new homes, including affordable and shared ownership apartments, as well as the health, retail and nursery facilities.McLaren delivered the student accommodation. The 104-bedroom business hotel on Greenwich High Road has been pre-let to Travelodge and is now open for business.
The on-site energy centre provides renewable energy and there more than 400 spaces available for bicycles. The scheme is expected to generate £275 million for the local economy during its first ten years.
- Date acquired: 2010
- Date completed: Oct 2015
- Value: £110m
- Architect: HLM Architects, Studio Egret West
- Development partners: Royal Borough of Greenwich
--U and I
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki:
- Algarve House, Southwark.
- Arches Boulogne, France.
- Articles by U and I.
- Blackhorse Road regeneration.
- Cathedral Group.
- Clapham One.
- Circus Street, Brighton.
- Development Securities.
- Mixed-use development.
- Preston Barracks, Brighton.
- Public private partnership.
- The Deptford Project.
- The Movement, Greenwich.
- U and I.
- UandI Think event with John McDonnell MP.
 External references
- [[w/index.php?title=W/index.php%3Ftitle%3DW/index.php%3Ftitle%3DW/index.php%3Ftitle%3DW/index.php%3Ftitle%3DW/index.php%3Ftitle%3DThemovementgreenwich.com%26action%3Dedit%26redlink%3D1%26action%3Dedit%26redlink%3D1%26action%3Dedit%26redlink%3D1%26action%3Dedit%26redlink%3D1%26action%3Dedit%26redlink%3D1&action=edit&redlink=1|The Movement, Greenwich]]
- U+I - The Movement, Greenwich
Featured articles and news
The origins, evolution and future of Level 3 BIM.
For new and returning Urban Design students, check out our article list divided up into the modules you'll be studying.
Report states that health of urban dwellers could be significantly improved by rethinking transport design.
The Kremlin, the centre of Russian power, includes some of the country's finest architecture.
Report launched outlining steps for a national infrastructure system that is efficient, sustainable, and delivers until 2050.
A review of Justin Bere's concise and well-presented introductory guide to Passive House.
This article describes in detail the tender process for a typical commercial construction contract.
What is energy storage, what are the different types and what is its future?
MAD Architects reveal their designs for a state-of-the-art concert hall in Beijing.
Take a look at BIG's designs for two twisting towers in New York City.
'The filing cabinet' which was labelled one of the best British buildings of the 21st century.