The Building Cost Information Service (BCIS), Elemental Standard Form of Cost Analysis Principles, Instructions, Elements and Definitions 4th (NRM) Edition published by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) in 2012, describes the rules for preparing an elemental cost analysis in standard BCIS format.
According to BCIS, the term 'superstructure' includes:
- Frame: Loadbearing framework. Main floor and roof beams, ties and roof trusses of framed buildings; casing to stanchions and beams for structural or protective purposes.
- Upper floors: Suspended floors over, or in basements, service floors, balconies, sloping floors, walkways and top landings, where part of the floor rather than part of the staircase.
- Roof: Roof structure, roof coverings, roof drainage, rooflights and roof features.
- Stairs and ramps: Construction of ramps, stairs, ladders, etc. connecting floors at different levels.
- External walls: External enclosing walls including walls to basements but excluding walls to basements designed as retaining walls.
- Windows, doors and openings in external walls.
- Internal walls, partitions, balustrades, moveable room dividers, cubicles and the like.
- Doors, hatches and other openings in internal walls and partitions.
Some broader definitions simply consider the superstructure to include all works above ground level, although clearly, this is a fairly ambiguous description.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
The origins, evolution and future of Level 3 BIM.
For new and returning Urban Design students, check out our article list divided up into the modules you'll be studying.
Report states that health of urban dwellers could be significantly improved by rethinking transport design.
The Kremlin, the centre of Russian power, includes some of the country's finest architecture.
Report launched outlining steps for a national infrastructure system that is efficient, sustainable, and delivers until 2050.
A review of Justin Bere's concise and well-presented introductory guide to Passive House.
This article describes in detail the tender process for a typical commercial construction contract.
What is energy storage, what are the different types and what is its future?
MAD Architects reveal their designs for a state-of-the-art concert hall in Beijing.
Take a look at BIG's designs for two twisting towers in New York City.
'The filing cabinet' which was labelled one of the best British buildings of the 21st century.