Patterns was an occasional, in-house technical journal published by Buro Happold between 1987 and 2011. There were 16 editions of Patterns and 2 special issues.
Considered seminal at the time, Patterns had a significant influence on engineering for several decades. Patterns is reproduced on Designing Buildings Wiki with the kind permission of Buro Happold because of its historical interest and the impact it has had on the development of engineering theory.
Published in 2001, Edition 13 focused on sustainability.
- Touching the Earth Lightly: An introduction to the sustainability debate. By Michael Dickson.
- Global Warning: Issues of planetary health. By Sir Crispin Tickell.
- City Limits: The holistic approach to urban planning. By Jeremy Caulton.
- It's not easy being Green: Greening a blue-chip HQ. By Tony Mclaughlin.
- A Timber Renaissance. By James Rowe
- A Material Difference. By Dr Andrew Cripps
- Energy Alternatives. By Doug King.
- Photovoltaic Solutions. By Andre Chaszar.
- Greywater Success. By Chew Pieng Ryan.
- The air that we breathe. By lain Gillespie.
- Resilient Envelopes. By Tony Mclaughlin.
- Supermodels. By Garry Palmer.
- Sustainable Measurement. By Dr Bill Addis.
- Accepting the challenge for the Future: The Young Engineer's View. By Ruth Haynes
Patterns is reproduced with the kind permission of --Buro Happold.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Patterns 1: October 1987.
- Patterns 2: April 1988.
- Patterns 3: August 1988.
- Patterns 4: November 1988.
- Patterns 5: May 1989.
- Patterns 6: July 1990.
- Patterns 7: December 1990.
- Patterns 8: May 1991.
- Patterns 9: October 1991.
- Patterns 10: December 1991.
- Patterns 11: August 1993.
- Patterns 12: July 1997.
- Patterns 14: March 2005.
- Patterns: Ground Source Energy. 2008.
- Patterns: Specialist Consulting, 2007.
- Patterns 15: Autumn / Winter 2010.
- Patterns 16: Autumn / Winter 2011.
Featured articles and news
In the week of the momentous Heathrow decision, we look back at the development and design of T5.
BSRIA’s flagship event will address performance and wellbeing beyond compliance.
Young Architects and Developers Alliance launched to build the relationship between the two disciplines.
BS 8536-2:2016 Design and construction: Code of practice for asset management (Linear and geographical infrastructure).
Paying for off-site goods or materials can be useful, but it puts the client at risk.
People power can be transformative if properly informed and inspired.
ZHA win competition to build an Urban Heritage Administration Centre in Saudi Arabia.
Leaps, not steps, are needed to avoid a ticking time bomb, say BRE in response to Farmer Review.
A multi-purpose hall in France covered in a translucent orange membrane.
Winning designs revealed for a rock formation-influenced residential complex in Rennes.
An article explaining the techniques, regulations and environmental impacts of carbon capture and storage.
Watch one of the first documentaries by the acclaimed Adam Curtis, examining the substandard system building of the 1960s.