Parenthetical referencing, also known as ‘Harvard referencing’ is a method for citing works.
Designing Buildings Wiki adopts the ‘author date’ style of parenthetical referencing. In this method, the (author surname, date of publication) is included in the body of the text after the description of the work being cited. The full reference is then included in a references section at the end of the document.
 Within the text
The (author, date) within the text can be presented as:
- (author, date).
- (author, date a,b,c etc) with references a,b,c etc. in date order if more than one publication is cited from the same author from the same year.
- (author 1 and author 2, date) if there are two authors.
- (author et al. date) if there are more than two authors.
- (author, date, P.No.) if a particular page number is being cited.
 Full reference
The full reference at the end of the document is presented as:
- Surname, Initial of author(s). (date of publication) Name of publication, Place of publication, Name of publisher.
- Surname, Initial of author(s). (date of publication) Article title, Journal name, volume, pages.
 Online content:
- Surname, Initial of author(s) or editor(s). or organisation name (date of publication if known) Title, Place of publication (if known), Name of publisher (if known). Available from: URL [Accessed Date]. Ideally the accessed date should include a time. This is necessary for editable content that might change through the course of a day.
 Chapter in multi-contributor book
- Surname, Initial of author(s). of chapter. (date of publication) Title of chapter, in Surname, Initial of author(s) of book, Name of publication, Place of publication, Name of publisher, pages.
 Unknown information
- n.d if the date of publication is unknown.
- n.p if the place of publication or publisher is unknown.
- Anon. if the author is unknown.
Featured articles and news
The Kremlin, the centre of Russian power, includes some of the country's finest architecture.
Report launched outlining steps for a national infrastructure system that is efficient, sustainable, and delivers until 2050.
A review of Justin Bere's concise and well-presented introductory guide to Passive House.
This article describes in detail the tender process for a typical commercial construction contract.
What is energy storage, what are the different types and what is its future?
MAD Architects reveal their designs for a state-of-the-art concert hall in Beijing.
Take a look at BIG's designs for two twisting towers in New York City.
'The filing cabinet' which was labelled one of the best British buildings of the 21st century.
ICE's Bridge Engineering exhibition opens, showcasing a record-breaking LEGO bridge.
London-based architect unveils designs for tallest building in Israel.