New apprentice levy funding model
On 12 Aug 2016, the Department of Education set out proposals for the new apprenticeship levy which will come into force in May 2017. This will require UK firms with a wage bill of over £3m per year to contribute 0.5% of annual pay (minus an allowance of £15,000) into the training fund.
Apprenticeships will be graded in 15 new bands with funding allocated in each from £1,500 to an upper limit of £27,000, depending on the type of training.
Alasdair Reisner, chief executive of Civil Engineering Contractors Association (CECA), said: “It's still very early and we are looking over the details in depth now, but we are getting a feeling that some of the bands for businesses or the construction sector look quite low, which may have a negative impact on the construction industry and its ability to fill apprenticeship figures.”
Funding for levy-paying employers who want to spend more on training than is in their ‘digital account’, will make up 90% of their additional apprenticeship training costs.
As an incentive for employers with fewer than 50 employees to take on apprenticeships, the government will pay 100% of their training costs.
Extra support worth £2,000 per trainee will also be available for employers and training providers that take on 16-18 year old apprentices or young care leavers.
A new online calculator has been created by the government so that employers can work out how much levy they will be required to pay, and how they could use their digital funds to pay for future training.
Construction Industry Training Board (CITB) director of policy Steve Radley said, “This announcement brings mixed news for construction. The co-investment rate for non-levy payers is lower than expected, at 10%, with the remaining 90% covered by funds raised by the levy. It’s also encouraging to see that smaller firms will be exempt from co-investment if they take on a 16-18 year old apprentice. With more than half of all construction apprentices under the age of 19, this is a win for the industry … But there is still work to do to make sure ensure funding bands reflect the actual costs of training, so that apprenticeships are affordable for companies of all sizes.”
Apprenticeships and skills minister Robert Halfon said, “The apprenticeship levy will help create millions of opportunities for individuals and employers. This will give our young people the chance they deserve in life and to build a highly-skilled future workforce that the UK needs.”
CBI director-general Carolyn Fairbairn said, “The Levy is too narrowly defined. It covers only one type of training and employers can only reclaim off-the-job costs. As a result, valuable forms of training risk being cut back, with quantity put ahead of quality. The May 2017 start date will not give firms sufficient time to prepare, so we urge the Government to delay implementation."
For more information, see the Government website.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Sadiq Khan publishes a new development strategy for the capital.
In the week of the momentous Heathrow decision, we look back at the development and design of T5.
BSRIA’s flagship event will address performance and wellbeing beyond compliance.
Young Architects and Developers Alliance launched to build the relationship between the two disciplines.
BS 8536-2:2016 Design and construction: Code of practice for asset management (Linear and geographical infrastructure).
Paying for off-site goods or materials can be useful, but it puts the client at risk.
People power can be transformative if properly informed and inspired.
ZHA win competition to build an Urban Heritage Administration Centre in Saudi Arabia.
Leaps, not steps, are needed to avoid a ticking time bomb, say BRE in response to Farmer Review.
A multi-purpose hall in France covered in a translucent orange membrane.
Winning designs revealed for a rock formation-influenced residential complex in Rennes.
An article explaining the techniques, regulations and environmental impacts of carbon capture and storage.
Watch one of the first documentaries by the acclaimed Adam Curtis, examining the substandard system building of the 1960s.