Negligence in building design and construction
- The defendant owed to the plaintiff a legal duty of care, and,
- The defendant was in breach of duty, and,
- The plaintiff has suffered damage as a result of that breach.
The legal duty of care referred to is one that arises independently of a contractual obligation and, indeed, in the absence of a contract. Over many years the courts have produced a long series of decisions to assist in deciding whether or not, on particular facts, a duty of care arises.
Some of the key cases are listed below. Clicking on the links will take you to articles describing each case.
- Donoghue v Stevenson (1932).
- Hedley Byrne & Co Ltd v Heller & Partners Ltd (1963, 1964).
- Dutton v Bognor Regis UDC and Another (1972).
- Anns v Merton London Borough Council (1977, 1978).
- Junior Books Ltd v Veitchi Co Ltd (1982).
- Governors of the Peabody Donation Fund v Sir Lindsay Parkinson & Co Ltd (1984).
- Muirhead v Industrial Tank Specialists Ltd (1985, 1986).
- Leigh & Sillivan Ltd v Aliakmon Shipping Co Ltd (1986).
- Curran and Another v Northern Ireland Co Ownership Housing Association Ltd and Another (1986, 1987).
- D&F Estates Limited and Others v Church Commissioners for England and others (1988, 1989).
- Murphy v Brentwood District Council (1990, 1991).
- Henderson and Others v Merrett Syndicates Ltd and Others (1994, 1995).
- White v Jones (1995).
- Gable House Estates Ltd v The Halpern Partnership and Another (1995).
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
The origins, evolution and future of Level 3 BIM.
For new and returning Urban Design students, check out our article list divided up into the modules you'll be studying.
Report states that health of urban dwellers could be significantly improved by rethinking transport design.
The Kremlin, the centre of Russian power, includes some of the country's finest architecture.
Report launched outlining steps for a national infrastructure system that is efficient, sustainable, and delivers until 2050.
A review of Justin Bere's concise and well-presented introductory guide to Passive House.
This article describes in detail the tender process for a typical commercial construction contract.
What is energy storage, what are the different types and what is its future?
MAD Architects reveal their designs for a state-of-the-art concert hall in Beijing.
Take a look at BIG's designs for two twisting towers in New York City.
'The filing cabinet' which was labelled one of the best British buildings of the 21st century.