Fire resistance of buildings
To help develop this article, click ‘Edit this article’ above.
- Resistance to collapse, i.e. the ability to maintain loadbearing capacity (which applies to loadbearing elements only).
- Resistance to fire penetration, i.e. an ability to maintain the integrity of the element.
- Resistance to the transfer of excessive heat, i.e. an ability to provide insulation from high temperatures.
- Guidance in section 2 concerning the use of fire-resisting construction to protect means of escape.
- Guidance in section 9 about the fire resistance of external walls to restrict the spread of fire between buildings.
- Information in appendix A about methods of testing and the performance of elements of construction.
- Information in appendix B about fire doors.
- Information in appendix C about methods of measurement.
- Information in appendix D about purpose group classification.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Dry riser.
- Escape route.
- Fire and rescue service.
- Fire compartment.
- Fire damper.
- Fire detection and alarm systems.
- Fire door.
- Fire safety design.
- Firefighting route.
- Joint fire code.
- Means of escape.
- Protected escape route.
- Protected stairway.
- Thermoplastic material.
- Unprotected escape route.
- Wet riser.
Featured articles and news
Watch one of the first documentaries by the acclaimed Adam Curtis, examining the substandard system building of the 1960s.
Take a look at the tech start-up that could transform construction design and communication.
This house in Barcelona uses an innovative new facade tiling system to blend into the landscape.
The origins, evolution and future of Level 3 BIM.
For new and returning Urban Design students, check out our article list divided up into the modules you'll be studying.
Report states that health of urban dwellers could be significantly improved by rethinking transport design.
The Kremlin, the centre of Russian power, includes some of the country's finest architecture.
Report launched outlining steps for a national infrastructure system that is efficient, sustainable, and delivers until 2050.
A review of Justin Bere's concise and well-presented introductory guide to Passive House.
This article describes in detail the tender process for a typical commercial construction contract.
'The filing cabinet' which was labelled one of the best British buildings of the 21st century.