Construction industry statistics
This article presents links to sources of construction industry statistics. This has become more difficult since the Office for National Statistics stopped compiling the full range of data sets in their Construction Statistics Annual.
NB In a letter from Ed Humpherson, Director General for Regulation at the UK Statistics Authority, to John Pullinger, National Statistician, on 11 December 2014, it was made clear that UK statistics for Construction Output and New Orders can no longer be designated as National Statistics. See Construction statistics no longer designated as National Statistics for more information
Office for National Statistics (ONS)
- Building and construction.
- New Orders.
- Construction Output tables.
- Turnover of construction service businesses. (Annual Business Survey)
- United Kingdom National Accounts, The Blue Book.
- Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings.
- Labour market statistics.
Department for Business Innovation and Skills (BIS)
- Local Authority Expenditure.
- Planning application statistics.
- Household interim projections (2011 to 2021) in England.
- The Construction Industry Training Board Trainee numbers.
- HSE Injuries in Great Britain by Industry and severity of injury.
- Gardiner and Theobald: International construction cost survey.
- Glenigan Reports.
- Constructing Excellence and Glenigan: Industry performance report.
- Planning: Planning Consultancy Survey.
Featured articles and news
Paying for off-site goods or materials can be useful, but it puts the client at risk.
People power can be transformative if properly informed and inspired.
ZHA win competition to build an Urban Heritage Administration Centre in Saudi Arabia.
Leaps, not steps, are needed to avoid a ticking time bomb, say BRE in response to Farmer Review.
A multi-purpose hall in France covered in a translucent orange membrane.
Winning designs revealed for a rock formation-influenced residential complex in Rennes.
An article explaining the techniques, regulations and environmental impacts of carbon capture and storage.
Watch one of the first documentaries by the acclaimed Adam Curtis, examining the substandard system building of the 1960s.
Take a look at the tech start-up that could transform construction design and communication.
This house in Barcelona uses an innovative new facade tiling system to blend into the landscape.
The origins, evolution and future of Level 3 BIM.