Capital allowances for construction
- Plant and machinery (lifts, escalators, mechanical and electrical plant, information and communications technology, equipment, furniture, fittings and office equipment).
- Thermal insulation for industrial buildings.
- Making certain buildings comply with the part B of the building regulations (fire safety).
- Safety measures for sports grounds and stadia.
- Security systems if there is a special threat to the use of the building.
- Scientific research and development facilities.
- Enterprise zones in relation to industrial and commercial buildings, including hotels.
The tax relief allowed relates to the reduction in value (depreciation) of the qualifying assets. The percentage of annual depreciation depends on the item claimed and the size of the business making the claim.
The percentage of annual depreciation depends on the item claimed and the size of the business making the claim. The client's finance director or in-house tax team may quantify the level of qualifying expenditure, or they may appoint a specialist capital allowances advisor. Capital allowances services are offered by specialist boutique firms, large and mid tier accountancy firms (who employ chartered surveyors) and cost consultants.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Base construction.
- Building Regulations.
- Business case.
- Capital costs.
- Capital gains tax.
- Cost consultant.
- Cost plans.
- ECA Water Scheme.
- Fit out.
- Net Present Value.
 External references
- HMRC: Capital allowances.
Featured articles and news
The Kremlin, the centre of Russian power, includes some of the country's finest architecture.
Report launched outlining steps for a national infrastructure system that is efficient, sustainable, and delivers until 2050.
A review of Justin Bere's concise and well-presented introductory guide to Passive House.
This article describes in detail the tender process for a typical commercial construction contract.
What is energy storage, what are the different types and what is its future?
MAD Architects reveal their designs for a state-of-the-art concert hall in Beijing.
Take a look at BIG's designs for two twisting towers in New York City.
'The filing cabinet' which was labelled one of the best British buildings of the 21st century.
ICE's Bridge Engineering exhibition opens, showcasing a record-breaking LEGO bridge.
London-based architect unveils designs for tallest building in Israel.