The QS and construction standards, otherwise known as the ‘Black Book’, is a suite of guidance published by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). It sets the technical standards for quantity surveying that RICS members should adopt. An understanding of these standards is necessary for the assessment of professional competence (APC) required to become a chartered surveyor.
The Black Book is not published as a single volume, but is a rolling programme of standalone publications that may ultimately include up to 50 guidance notes. Described by the RICS as one of the most significant launches in the 30 years, together they provide a suite of tools that will help the construction industry work more collaboratively and consistently.
It includes guidance on processes such as:
- Capital allowances and remediation relief.
- Cash flow forecasting.
- Conflict avoidance and dispute resolution.
- Construction insurance.
- Construction security and performance documents.
- Cost analysis and benchmarking
- Damages for delay to completion.
- Defects / rectification.
- Defining completion on construction work.
- Developing a construction procurement strategy.
- Electronic document management.
- Methodology to calculate embodied carbon.
- Termination of contract, corporate recovery and insolvency.
- Valuing change.
At its launch, the then chief construction adviser Paul Morrell said, ‘The launch of the RICS “Black Book” of practice standards is a timely contribution … and coupled with the NRM they will help to equip the profession with the means to maintain a high quality of service and advice to its clients through this time of transformation.’
 External references
- Bills of quantities.
- Common Arrangement of Work Sections.
- Comparison of SMM7 with NRM2.
- Cost consultant.
- New Rules of Measurement.
- Tender documentation.
- Tender pricing document.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- isurv, RICS launches NRM, and QS and construction standards 'Black Book' 24 April 2012.
- RICS, [•%09http:/www.rics.org/uk/shop/RICS-QS-and-Construction-Standards-the-Black-Book-Suite-of-RICS-Practice-Standards-19218.aspx Black Book].
Featured articles and news
The origins, evolution and future of Level 3 BIM.
For new and returning Urban Design students, check out our article list divided up into the modules you'll be studying.
Report states that health of urban dwellers could be significantly improved by rethinking transport design.
The Kremlin, the centre of Russian power, includes some of the country's finest architecture.
Report launched outlining steps for a national infrastructure system that is efficient, sustainable, and delivers until 2050.
A review of Justin Bere's concise and well-presented introductory guide to Passive House.
This article describes in detail the tender process for a typical commercial construction contract.
What is energy storage, what are the different types and what is its future?
MAD Architects reveal their designs for a state-of-the-art concert hall in Beijing.
Take a look at BIG's designs for two twisting towers in New York City.
'The filing cabinet' which was labelled one of the best British buildings of the 21st century.